Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
The replacement gear I have is pure nylon.
That's what all the aftermarket gears I've seen look like, but I came across one listing saying their gear was 're-inforced'. The biggest market for these will be Golf sunroofs that won't have the extended opening, I don't always trust EOS compatibility claims by sellers or Ebay.

Look further into that slot in the control pcb that sits over the gearbox. Unless you know what and how to look for it, you would never know if there was embedded steel or a small magnet (s) which they use for tacho (revolution) counting. Even the composition of the nylon may be different (embedded metal) allowing them to count the moving gear teeth with a Hall sensor. Obviously a replacement gear then has to have exactly the same diameter and teeth count. I've come across this on gearbox speedo pickup gears and similar on front wheel bearings for ABS pickup. If you still have the old damaged gear you can try scanning it with a small compass and magnet looking for any attraction?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was very interested in your post. I have a problem with blocked links. The glass roof worked but it was not serviced for a long time and it got stuck. Damaged nylon tribo. I bought a wheel replacement, I can give you photos.
Why was there silence for 10 months?
Sorry for my english - google translator

Attachments

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Hope they work. Looking at your photos the yellow OE gear has teeth set at an angle, the white replacement does not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The teeth of the replacement are also at an angle. Bad picture. I have access to the service manuals, but the descriptions are chaotic and, as you mentioned, there are a lot of understatements.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Is it working now? Does the sunroof open correctly when the roof operates? Where did you buy the parts (link please).

Photos are good. The small gear has correct angled teeth but the white gear teeth look vertical not angled?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Now back to repairing the Eos. He stood for almost two years because there was no time. Umnie the range is larger because I was doing the RHD to LHR conversions 20170629_200647.jpg 20161016_172101.jpg 20170630_080540.jpg

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
You will be an expert! BUT have you got the sunroof and gears working perfectly yet?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The roof worked after the conversation. The works were completed for a year because there was no time. Eos stood in the square. I was to start the work again, but the glass roof was difficult to open. It has not been serviced before and the links are blocked. Attempts to open by force damaged the white wheel. I put the project aside again for a year. Now I got some spare parts and I'm going to finish the job.
20170702_163812.jpg

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
OK. To recommend to members, we need to know it was working well for some months? You need a workshop manual in your language? Read about sunroof alignment in the space and special V.W tools.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Good angle, now you just need to confirm it has been working o.k and as strong as the OE? I do not think anybody has come back after trying this motor repair and confirmed it works reliably. Brass gears (cogs) would be very nice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The engine revolutions are counted from this magnet. There are sensors on the board. Taksamo is solved in electric window motors.
IMG_20210102_194341.jpg

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Yes I have seen inside. Are there any metal parts molded inside the plastic gear? Where is the rotating magnet, or is it Infrared?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Thanks. Ah! I now understand. When the 2 covers come together, the magnetic sensors sit close to the motor shaft magnet. So the sensors detect motor rpm (worm gear) or motor rpm X2, NOT the rotation of the nylon gear.

You should know to get the motor to recalibrate and the sunroof fully closing and opening you may need to disconnect its fuse or supply connector for a while (1/2hour?) before reset procedure (key in drivers door lock to reset windows AND sunroof). I discovered this because the controller stores and remembers the last rotation pulse count for the end positions.

If there is high friction on the sliders, the motor may have previously stalled early due to pinch protection (motor overload) and the controller will remember the wrong count. The main roof will not open because the sunroof may not move to the extended 'far back' position, due to wrong stored count. I found I could 'calibrate' the motor+controller whilst hanging and disconnected from the Octopus cables.

Where did you buy the repair kit from?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you very much for your valuable comments. This week I will bring the car to the garage and test it.

·
Registered
VW EOS 2.0 FSI 2006
16 Posts
"Sunroof cables worm and jumping. New cables, drive gear to motor and motor required - £1483.19"
"Roof mechanism will also need a clean and lubricate once able to put in the service position. Currently not able to be placed in that position until the above replaced - £116.40"

Hi There,

I recently had VW Main Dealership replace a roof sensor and return car to me. It was raining when I picked it up so didn't properly test the roof. Its a second car so is rarely used. The car basically was driven from the garage to my home and sat there since December 1st. First time I tried the roof a couple of nights ago everything went haywire. Things operated out of sequence, sunroof got stuck open, wedged at an angle, and they now want £1600+ to replace the sunroof motor, etc. Even with a working roof I doubt the car is worth that. So I will be going there tomorrow to get my car back. This now looks like this will be a Lockdown 3.0 DIY project for me. I could hear the motor whirring/clicking when trying to close the sunroof so I assume it still has power to it. I suspect the gearing has just worn way so I may try replace the inner and outer gearing. Are there any obvious signs to look for with regards to the cabling that they were proposing to change too?

VW claim that they tested this roof and it worked so I have to assume it did (once!) and that what has happened now is mechanical and not electrical/electronic (i.e sensor related), which is their position on this. It seems beyond coincidental that the sunroof motor would fail the first time I tried this, straight after the repair they did, but impossible for me to prove. So, I am watching Tomek's progress with great interest. Any other pointers you guys can offer would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
When you get to the sunroof motor and gear, you will be able to see the sunroof cables. They're Bowden cables - basically like the brake cables on a bicycle. You should be able to see any damage on them - kinks, frays, or broken sheath. It could be that it is only the gear is the issue, but if the cables jumped the gear, they may have been damaged in the process. If that's the case, you may be able to straighten them out - but a dealer wouldn't do that because they couldn't guarantee it would work.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts