Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

My wife is just about to take delivery of her new car and she is just wondering whether to have it "superguarded" before she picks it up. So, for those of you who had it done. Was it worth it? When did you have your car done? How long did it last for? Did you truly get away with not polishing the car? How about flies and bird mess?

Thanks for your feedbacks....

·
Growing old disgracefully
239 Posts
When I was buying Mercs several years ago I was told by the dealers not to bother as it was not worth the money and that no-one bought it. How true that is I don't know but it did seem a waste of money and if dealers didn't recommend it, it seemed wise to follow what they said.

·
Save the manuals!
474 Posts
I wouldn't get any of those dealer add-ons like paint protectant, undercoating, leather/fabric protectant, etc.

Nowadays that's where dealers make most of their money, so they have their closer guy push this stuff really hard. A reputable local auto detailer should be able to apply paint protectant, if you want it, at a much cheaper price.

There's a good article on Edmunds on the "Rip-Off Sticker", link below. Edmunds is a U.S. site, but I'm sure the advice is sound no matter where you live.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/161746/article.html

·
Registered
128 Posts
How many of us (in the UK anyway) buy the leather protector (that they always try to flog you ) when we buy a new pair of shoes - I think the same applies, its just another money spinner for the dealer.
just an opinion ?!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Oh... I must be gullible then, as my car always comes up nice and shiny when it is washed!! :)
So does mine - and it hasn't been Superguarded. :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't get any of those dealer add-ons like paint protectant, undercoating, leather/fabric protectant, etc.

Nowadays that's where dealers make most of their money, so they have their closer guy push this stuff really hard. A reputable local auto detailer should be able to apply paint protectant, if you want it, at a much cheaper price.

There's a good article on Edmunds on the "Rip-Off Sticker", link below. Edmunds is a U.S. site, but I'm sure the advice is sound no matter where you live.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/161746/article.html
Thanks Lucid Nonsense for the link, interesting reading.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh... I must be gullible then, as my car always comes up nice and shiny when it is washed!! :)
Si, I am assuming that you have had some cars in the past which have not been treated. Are you saying that it is a lot easier to keep clean once superguarded? Obviously, everyone can keep their car clean, it just boils down to how much elbow grease you want to use to achieve the same results. I have just been told that we would not need to polish the car at all...do you concur?

·
Registered
30 Posts
i had autoglym lifeshine on my car but my fatherwho brought a car at the same time didnt and there is a significant differance in the appearance considering the volcanic fallout mine still looks like new with a quick wash, i would also like to point out you also get a valeting kit and a lifetime warranty.which covers any marks to be removed and lifeshine reapplyed, there are some limitations on the marks but i think that they are resonable,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.