Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I know this had been covered a few times but I can't find the specific answers to what I want to do.

We have a 2010 EOS which has the updated steering wheel. The earlier wheel and the Mk5 GTI Wheel are a direct swap but the closest wheel to ours is a Mk6 GTI Wheel. All of the buttons / controls are identical (and I can even swap ours into the other wheel to be certain) but a the airbag is different.

The airbag S/Ns I got from VW when they looked up both VINs are:
- Mk6 5KO880201AE81U
- EOS 5NO880201F81U

So, my question is, while the clock spring can stay in place and the buttons / controls will be a direct swap over, will the new airbag need coding to work / remove errors or will it just be a direct bolt up??

Any help would be appreciated.

Oz

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
The airbag itself shouldn't have any electronics inside and need coding. However, I have in the past (carefully!) tested the firing squid resistance on a few steering wheel air bags. The spec. resistance is always very low, but can vary between different units. This is important because the firing current is then determined by the airbag control unit. When the system first self checks at key on, it checks each squib resistance is what it expects. If it's wrong it puts on the airbag fault warning and disables the system.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi All,

I know this had been covered a few times but I can't find the specific answers to what I want to do.

We have a 2010 EOS which has the updated steering wheel. The earlier wheel and the Mk5 GTI Wheel are a direct swap but the closest wheel to ours is a Mk6 GTI Wheel. All of the buttons / controls are identical (and I can even swap ours into the other wheel to be certain) but a the airbag is different.

• Mk6 5KO880201AE81U
  • EOS 5NO880201F81U

So, my question is, while the clock spring can stay in place and the buttons / controls will be a direct swap over, will the new airbag need coding to work / remove errors or will it just be a direct bolt up??

Oz
I fitted a MK 6 GTI wheel complete with airbag etc to my MY14 Eos, no fault codes reported. The only coding necessary was to enable the paddles. Very simple to do with either VCDS or OBD11.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
As far as the bag itself is concerned it's just an item that goes 'bang' when enough current goes through it. As EosSydney said, coding is telling the system clockspring controller about the steering wheel paddles/buttons and has nothing to do with the airbag itself.

He said his swap worked, I'm just giving you a warning that the airbag resistance measured very carefully should be about the same. Too low or too high and a system check may fail. You will soon know when you plug it in and turn on the key if the airbag light stays out.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
682 Posts
Hi All,

• Mk6 5KO880201AE81U
  • EOS 5NO880201F81U

Oz
Those part numbers do not show up in a Google search, nor do they show up in the VW parts catalog.

I searched for a 2010 GTI airbag in the online parts catalog and the airbag fits the CC, Eos, Golf, Golf R, GTI, Tiguan.

It did not make sense that there would be a different airbag for the EOS and GTI, manufactures try to share as many components between models as possible

·
Registered
133 Posts
It did not make sense that there would be a different airbag for the EOS and GTI, manufactures try to share as many components between models as possible
Two completely different airbags, don't even look similar.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
I think when considering mods using a used part from another vehicle not EOS or even EOS different year, you always buy with the option to return at your cost?

I suspect the airbag unit will be married to the wheel it is designed to fit and work with and won't be a universal common size? That doesn't mean it won't work or the wheel won't fit, but if the resistance isn't the same I wouldn't risk using it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
As I said, two entirely different airbags, if you're using a MK6 GTI wheel, you have to use a MK6 GTI airbag.
Eos wheel

Car Vehicle Wheel Speedometer White

GTI wheel

Wheel Bicycle part Wood Rim Alloy wheel

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
682 Posts
Two completely different airbags, don't even look similar.
The airbag I posted is listed as compatible with 2010-2015 EOS AND the Golf GTI but..... I did some digging through my EOS brochures and vehicles currently for sale. Seems that the VW parts catalog is not completely accurate, as all the EOS's from 2010-2015 have the wheel you posted in your first picture. The 2006-2009 EOS has the MK5 wheel/airbag, same as used in the other VW models. None of the EOS brochures or vehicles I looked at actually have a MK6 steering wheel as used in the Golf/GTI

As for your swap, I would just pickup a GTI MK6 wheel/airbag and swap it over and not try to Frankenstein a swap.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The airbag I posted is listed as compatible with 2010-2015 EOS AND the Golf GTI but..... I did some digging through my EOS brochures and vehicles currently for sale. Seems that the VW parts catalog is not completely accurate, as all the EOS's from 2010-2015 have the wheel you posted in your first picture. The 2006-2009 EOS has the MK5 wheel/airbag, same as used in the other VW models. None of the EOS brochures or vehicles I looked at actually have a MK6 steering wheel as used in the Golf/GTI

As for your swap, I would just pickup a GTI MK6 wheel/airbag and swap it over and not try to Frankenstein a swap.
That's correct, and that is exactly what I did.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Firstly. thank you all for your information and advice.

@2phast - It's interesting re you not being able to search the part numbers because I got them from a VW dealer when I gave them the VINs of both the EOS and the GTI the donor wheel is coming from, and when I search either in Google, it returns plenty of results (548 for the EOS and 1500 for the GTI).

Notwithstanding, all of the comments are well taken on board. I did have a thought today - what if I swapped the trim pieces over (like 2phast did with the MK5 swap) but looking closely at the wheels, I would most likely have to modify the trim panel around the switches as the outer edge would not git the GTI wheel.

If the car will willingly accept the different airbag then it all becomes a mute argument anyway as the parts dealer told me they get them in pretty regularly anyway so I'll just go that path.

@EosSydney - what was required for you to enable the paddles?? I have seen plenty of paddle shift wheels but rarely a non-paddle version. I was focussed on no paddles as I wasn't sure you could make them work. Once you had them, did you use them reasonably frequently or was it a "that's nice" feature??

Oz

·
Registered
133 Posts
If the car will willingly accept the different airbag then it all becomes a mute argument anyway as the parts dealer told me they get them in pretty regularly anyway so I'll just go that path.

@EosSydney - what was required for you to enable the paddles?? I have seen plenty of paddle shift wheels but rarely a non-paddle version. I was focussed on no paddles as I wasn't sure you could make them work. Once you had them, did you use them reasonably frequently or was it a "that's nice" feature??

Oz
Pick up a wheel and airbag from a GTI and it's a straight swap. Enabling the paddles was a snack, it was my first attempt at coding and did it with OBDeleven. Including backing up my settings it took just a few minutes, it was a while ago but I think it was module 16 steering wheel - coding - you'll see a an entry somehting like Tiptronic installed and tick the checkbox. If you google it, you'll find detailed instructions.
I don't use them often but I'm happy I have them. I fitted paddle shift extensions, they are metal and a bit wide, if I did this again I would get the skinny ones, there's not alot of clearance for the high beam and blinker stalks.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
682 Posts
Firstly. thank you all for your information and advice.

@2phast - It's interesting re you not being able to search the part numbers because I got them from a VW dealer when I gave them the VINs of both the EOS and the GTI the donor wheel is coming from, and when I search either in Google, it returns plenty of results (548 for the EOS and 1500 for the GTI).

Notwithstanding, all of the comments are well taken on board. I did have a thought today - what if I swapped the trim pieces over (like 2phast did with the MK5 swap) but looking closely at the wheels, I would most likely have to modify the trim panel around the switches as the outer edge would not git the GTI wheel.

Oz
Neither of these show up in Google, nor any of the variations 5NO880201F 81U with a space and without the 81U

• Mk6 5KO880201AE81U
  • EOS 5NO880201F81U

Also searched for each directly in the VW USA EPC, no hits for the exact part number. Also tried a UK EPC for Volkswagen set to all regions and found it, correct part number seems to be 5NO880201F 81U with a space between the F and the 81U.

US VW EPC shows a completely different part number for the same airbag

3C8880201AA81U, it also says the airbag is compatible with the GTI, Golf, CC and Tiguan. We already know the EOS has a different wheel/airbag than the Golf MK6, so there is definitely something out of wack.

From experience, US dealers don't always have access to euro parts, so those part numbers don't show up in their EPC and they can not order them. This is probably why were seeing different part numbers, but I don't understand why there would be different part numbers on airbags, must be something different between euro airbags and North American airbags.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@2phast It must be a nightmare for anyone who is a distributor of their parts - today this item has this part number, tomorrow it has that one...Sheesh...

I also found several variations on the GTI airbag number - it all seems to be around the 2 characters just before the 81U - probably revisions / regions.

@EosSydney - I'll have a peek at the coding next time the VCDS cable is here and if I can't figure it out, I'll PM you.

Thanks again gents

Oz

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
Will it work if you need it to save your life or are you just relying on no errors from diagnostics to stay happy? When I tested a few airbag firing squibs they had different value resistances and diagnostics will see them all the same.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts