Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

At the first sign of some decent weather I've tried to open my 2008 Eos roof today and received this message - System Fail Convertible Top Workshop". Only had the car a few months. It's 4 years old and done 15,000 miles.Feeling rather worried that this is going to cost me a lot as am guessing there is no warranty covering this age of vehicle.
Whilst I'm waiting for local VW dealership to ring me back so I can book it in thought I'd try on here. Has anyone had this error message? I've tried a few times and got nothing. The slide and tilt roof still works. Not had the roof down since September - give me some good news peeps! :)
Thanks
Liz

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had this happen... I have had success when I then open/close the windows. I'll put the windows down the whole way.

I've also disconnected the battery for a few minutes.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers v much for the advice. Tried the windows up and down loads and disconnected the battery for about 10 mins but still no change. And good old VW didn't ring me back either. Frustrating!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Does the sunroof work using the main roof button (ie as the first stage of main roof opening) or only on the small button?
Try moving the luggage divider in the boot to ensure the switch that it operates is moving freely.
Look under the spare wheel cover and check for water or evidence of water.
Worth a look at the fuses too, I think there may be two for the roof.
And of course, search on here for any clues as to the cause.
HTH,
Regards,
John

·
South Australian Owner
197 Posts
System Fail

I had this message several times on my 2010 Eos.
1 month later my battery died. Check your battery for low voltage etc....

·
Rated EE: Eos Enthusiast
1,256 Posts
Also be sure to check the tension strings for the flaps of the lining of the roof. Seems like you will need dealer service, but with all the advice above you might get an idea how bad it is before you get there. Sorry you couldn't enjoy the good weather.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really appreciate all your advice guys - many thanks! I've just checked the fuse and it seems fine, no sign of any water anywhere, moved the luggage shelf thing in the boot and put it up and down a few times and still no good. Not sure about the battery - I've just had the car standing for a week whilst I was on holiday and it started first time so don't think the battery is the problem. I wish it was! As for the tension strings for the flaps - where will I find these? Part of the problem is I need the roof to be down to see all the components of it. Starting to wish I'd kept my Toyota MR2 now with the manual fold down roof........will ring VW again tomorrow as they are closed now. Cars.....= hassle!

Cheers all

Liz

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi everyone - delighted to say my roof is sorted. Took it to the guy who does our servicing and repairs. He knew someone with a sooooper dooooper diagnostic machine and it turned out to be a valve. Think a switch had burnt out. Absolutely chuffed! Of course this is the UK.....so the dull skies and rain is back - typical!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the info on how you sorted it:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 eos passenger rear window dont work

i have a problem with my eos 2012 the rear window dont work and i can move the convertibe i check fuse i check cables i check master switch any help pllease

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi treacle. I have exact same problem. Can you give any further info about the fix and the valve you mentioned?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
System Fail Convertible Top Workshop
That high level fault message could be due to any one or more of many possible problems in the roof system. The MFD is the idiot display for drivers. It says you have a fault but that's all and only diagnostics will tell you which of many possible faults it might be.

You are clutching at straws if you have the same MFD message and think you can solve your problem with somebody elses solution. There's only one fault message and everybody gets the same! If it was that easy, all EOS owners with the same fault would fix their cars without going to a workshop or connecting diagnostics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2006 Volkswagen E or S I am open the sunroof the sunroof is open after that I close it but the Sun roof is not close I can try open the sunroof again but the sunroof is not open and motor is wise screen show Convertible operation system error

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Your sunroof mechanism could be faulty? Others here have posted problems with their sunroof (search Forum). Your convertible won't be convertible until the sunroof works correctly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your sunroof mechanism could be faulty? Others here have posted problems with their sunroof (search Forum). Your convertible won't be convertible until the sunroof works correctly.
How much it will be cost to fix this problem

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Suggest you take to a V.W EOS repair shop and ask for an estimate. They will be more experienced and able to do more diagnosis to come up with an action plan, estimate and prices. If they start talking about replacing sunroof mechanical parts, it will be expensive. If the problem needs simpler reset it will be cheap. If you keep trying to open and close the sunroof you may do more expensive damage and it stays open.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts