Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have kind of a silly question maybe, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

I recently installed a dashcam with a hardwire kit, this one specifically. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075WPSZYH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I decided just to use a single power source that gets turned off with the car engine. I went through most of the fuse sockets(?) and tested the power. I've heard to use non critical fuses, which makes sense. I've also heard that if you have an empty fuse that works best.

Well, I found that fuse 5 was empty, but still had metal contacts to supply power. Here's my question: there's no way a fuse slot with the metal contacts but no fuse in it is being used for anything, right? I've tried to find fuse descriptions online in manuals, but they all vary greatly. The closest I could find is in this thread Fuse Diagram. According to it, F5 is for the right headlight. I obviously wouldnt want something to happen to that (or worse case scenario F5 is for something more critical).So basically, if there was no fuse in there to begin with, is it safe to assume that fuse slot is doing nothing in my car and that there's no way tapping it could cause any damage to any critical component?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
What's mean't by critical fuse is e.g the ECU or ABS fuse! A dashcam takes virtually no current. Often an unused but wired fuseholder has a wire set in the loom for something but it will be taped over. If you can't see it you take that chance. But for a dash cam you can use a fuse as low as 1amp and even if there was a loom short, the wiring would be protected.

Another option is to do what I did when I added an external charging socket - Buy a Piggy Back double fuseholder to fit in an existing existing socket. They can fit horizontally over the fuse and you can still fit the cover. As long as its a switchable power source it doesn't matter so much which one you choose because 1amp isn't going to overload the existing circuit and there's no risk to the original circuit. Look for a slot that isn't powering something critical. The double piggy back holders can be fitted either way around so check before installing the new fuse is being powered from the power source side and not after the existing fuse.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts