Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Life is good... so far
1,090 Posts
Another fun number. A 50,000 hour bulb run 24/7 would burn 5.7 years. If you were watching the video closely, a few things become apparent. ALL bulbs deteriorate, some faster than others. Amount of physical light when measured varies depending on type of reflector systems, with a bit more from regular reflectors. The same bulb used in two reflector types gives different light outputs. In some cases HID is better and in some LED is better. A projector unit controls light pattern more consistently with a tad more loss. A 45W led in a reflector(high Beam) will out shine the low beam (projector) with a 35W bulb as it will if both are using the same because the high beam is supposed to. That is what lights the distance. Fog lights should be left as fog lights. They were designed for that purpose. Repurposing them as DRLs or cornering lights defeats their intended design and is a bad compromise at best. The biggest gripe I have had with my Eos has been the Headlights and that they are used as DRLs. Would love to turn them off. I just haven't seen any options I am comfortable with unless yo can turn the headlight DRLs off and use some type of auxiliary lights in its place. Someone has added a Philips kit and mounted it in the bumper/grille area but I don't remember if it was the only running DRL.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looking at the bulb design, the H7 retainer ring can be fully removed from the LED bulb. I am 90% sure it will work with our EOS projector housing.
i am 100% sure it will not fit: the fan/heatsink is ~1/2" too long to clear (bulb is offset to outside edge of housing)

·
Life is good... so far
1,090 Posts
Same problem I had with trying the LED on the low beam side, No clearance for the heatsink. Before you give up on LED low beams, check the various online videos. There is a company making LED headlight bulbs that uses an unfolding metallic ribbon as a heatsink ( no fan). I don't know the brand, but it does exist. Try Putco, Partsam, Carid. and Superbrightleds .com to start. I have no idea of their quality or availability in different mountings.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
i am 100% sure it will not fit: the fan/heatsink is ~1/2" too long to clear (bulb is offset to outside edge of housing)
Do you mean the fan/heatsink is too long for the dust cover? You might be able to use something this to make it fit:

https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Du...r+for+LED&qid=1578119874&s=automotive&sr=1-39

However you will need to measure and cut the dust cover to allow the fan/heatsink to clear, and attach the dust cover to ensure the seal is still able to keep out dust/moisture.

Did you light up the LED and check the brightness / beam pattern?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Same problem I had with trying the LED on the low beam side, No clearance for the heatsink. Before you give up on LED low beams, check the various online videos. There is a company making LED headlight bulbs that uses an unfolding metallic ribbon as a heatsink ( no fan). I don't know the brand, but it does exist. Try Putco, Partsam, Carid. and Superbrightleds .com to start. I have no idea of their quality or availability in different mountings.
I looked at those LED bulbs with ribbon heat sink and decided to go with HID for low beam instead, as LED without active cooling is not bright enough. I think the best solution for our 07-11 EOS is good quality HID for low beams and LED for high beams/fogs. Installing the DDM Ultra HID kit for my 09 EOS is really quite simple and a 15 minute job for both sides.

·
Life is good... so far
1,090 Posts
The fan/heatsink is more than likely is too large in diameter or a tad too long to fit inside the projector housing. To fit, you have to cut a notch in the housing itself and not the cover. That is what I found. You could certainly do this, but you will need to use silicone seal to cover and seal the area you cut out. Your option. Also if you only spent 15 minutes to install the HID kit, you did it wrong. The ballasts are supposed to be mounted to a metallic surface under the hood to properly cool them. That is why brackets and tape are packed with them and the ballasts have mounting tabs. Not doing this could cause premature ballast failure. Also necessitates drilling a hole in the cover. The high beams/LEDs have to have everything stuffed inside the housing. I see no other easy way. Also if the lights have good heatsinks, they don't necessarily need the fans. But they will be large. The fans help make the heatsink be smaller.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts