Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I posted about the popup screen some members also said they were unaware it was there. OK we don't all read the manual cover to cover or in my case drive the car that often. I also believe that more designs should make assumptions about intuition - what comes naturally or is expected without reading the manual.

Last Winter I thought it a bit odd wifeys EOS Sport didn't have heated door mirrors for the frosty morning startups. On all other cars I've driven, they are there and active all the time. But then the EOS does have some cute VW descriptors like lowline,mediumline and highline. That means the more you spend (even on addons you might expect included) - the more you get.

After messing around inside and out of the front doors, I spot a heater symbol lurking on the mirror angle adjuster knob. Intuition says press for 'on' (well that would be easy when driving along) and the wonderful German design would reset the next time you started up when you pushed again for the heated mirrors. Wrong! The knob rotates off the center zero position to point forwards and they stay on when the ignition is on. From now on - Heated mirror Bliss!

The mirrors start up heating at full power for 2 minutes, then the temperature is supposed to back off - some kind of PTC resistor I suspect. I shall leave mine in that position all Winter and hope I remember to switch them off in Summer.

Why would VW have a manual switch for heated mirrors? I can only guess they might get too hot if left on in a hot Summer and crack the mirror glasses - not such a common problem in other cars though.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Why would VW have a manual switch for heated mirrors? I can only guess they might get too hot if left on in a hot Summer and crack the mirror glasses - not such a common problem in other cars though.
I really don't think VW is concerned about the glass getting too hot and cracking.

There are areas here in southern Arizona where the temps will reach 120 degrees F. So far, none of the mirrors in AZ have cracked and I do not believe the heated mirrors ever reach that high of a temperature.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
277 Posts
Until around 2005 VW didn't put the 'heater on' position on the switch. The mirror heaters used to stay on all the time if the switch was in the '0' postion. However VW had a quite a few heating element failures because the heating elements were on all the time. I remember a dealer telling me this when I had a 2003 model VW and he recommended selecting 'L' or 'R' on the mirror switch so that the mirror heaters wouldn't be on and then just selecting '0' when I wanted them on.

·
Save the manuals!
474 Posts
It's funny I had the same experience - we had our Eos for nearly two years before we realized it had heated mirrors. Overnight the car's parked in our garage, so the function's normally not needed. However, last winter my wife groused last winter after leaving work, and having to contend with iced-over mirrors. Hmmmm...I looked around a bit, and lo and behold - there's the switch!

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I felt the mirror glasses after first switching on and they seemed quite hot. I haven't investigated what method they use for heating, but the handbook mentioned them dropping to ambient temperature after a couple of minutes.

That means it's some kind of PTC heating thermistor that's temperature and power self levelling, or a standard heating element with some electronic temperature sensing.

If I think more about the way they might work, their reliability may be better in hot climes because they will turn down faster. Whereas in the frozen wastes of North America or Scandinavia (where they drive Saabs!) the mirrors could be staying hotter for longer.

Either way, the mirrors clear of condensation and frost very quickly now so she's happy. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts