Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The elusive "mirror down" feature is one many VW owners, not just Eos owners, crave. Some discover they can enable it and it works; others try and fail. (And for those who don't know: "mirror down" angles the passenger mirror towards the kerb when you engage reverse gear, to aid visibility, and returns to normal when you pull off.)

Some say that the option is only available if you have memory seats. On other models this may be true, but the Eos never had a memory seat module. Some say that the option is only available with MY08 or later, others say they have Golfs older than that that work.

On the Eos, you won't get the "mirror down" feature to work unless you have a memory mirror, and this option is only available from MY08 (and even then, it is only an option). How do you know if you have a memory mirror? The easiest way is to pull the glass off your passenger mirror (carefully lever it) and check the part number of the mirror motor. If you find 3D0959578C which has a 7-pin connector, you have the mirror you need; if you find 3D0959578B which has a 3-pin connector, you'll need to get a new mirror. You can't just replace the mirror motor, because you need extra wires running through the harness.

One thing that makes it harder to find the right replacement mirror is that the replacement part numbers in ETKA are different to the original parts. Another thing is that the letters on the end of the codes for the replacements don't align with the originals. To top it all off, the part number for the post-2008 memory mirror is identical to the part number for the 2007 non-memory mirror.

Having done all this research, I also found a cheap-enough-looking mirror that should have the right part in it (based on the number of wires on the plug - no, really). When it arrives and I get the chance to have a play, I'll be able to update on whether I got it right, and whether anything else appears to be required - the door control module may need updating too.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I thought reversing cameras did a similar thing? The only passenger mirror my basic EOS has is the vanity mirror stuck in the sun vizor. Although I would like something to show me when I'm scraping the wheel rims on the kerb and front parking sensors for those low steel and concrete barriers that can crunch under the front fender when I'm parking.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi there

You know you have to turn the mirror selection dial to the passenger side mirror for it to work.

Hth

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure I do.

My post was the result of a long and in-depth trawling of information about various years and models in ETKA along with browsing the Elsawin manuals for both the Eos and Golf (fun fact: the Eos wiring diagrams are completely missing the information about wiring for memory mirrors) so I also know that the MY07 Eos doesn't have option code 6XT ("Exterior mirrors: with memory function, automatically dimming, electrically foldable/adjustable, separately heated") available. It's available on the MY07 Golf, but first comes to the Eos in MY08 - and the memory function in the mirror is crucial to making mirror down work. That's why it doesn't work on MY07, and if you have MY08 or above the simplest way to check if mirror down could work is to check the part number on the mirror motor. :)

The memory mirrors contain potentiometers, so I'm presuming that the memory is not actually in the mirror, but enables the door control module to read the position of the mirror when reverse is engaged and reset it when the car is moving forward by driving the motor until the correct potentiometer reading is reached.

Another fun piece of information: since the Eos doesn't have seat memory, the memory mirror is only applicable to the passenger side. Cars with buttons for seat memory presumably also retain the settings for both mirrors. Anyway, I think that is why VCDS has the label for "mirror down (only with memory seats)" - because that's the option that would guarantee you mirror memory on other cars, and the comfort module, where it is coded, is a 1K0 part, so shared with the mk5 Golf and Jetta which have this option.

·
Alaskaman
95 Posts
An unusual feature of the Smart top module is that it has the passenger side "mirror dip" included. The mirror switch needs to be in the passenger side mirror position and when the vehicle is put in reverse, the mirror moves down to see the curb. When taken out of reverse, the mirror comes back up...slowly. That's the only part I dislike. The mirror takes some to to reset to it's original position.
Plus, the main reason for the module is the remote and one touch up/down of the roof. It was worth it to me, for sure. They run about $300 (US). Mine took about an hour to install because it was one of the first thing I did and was being REAL careful.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An unusual feature of the Smart top module is that it has the passenger side "mirror dip" included.
From the source: "Requires seat memory". Which, I suspect, means you need the memory mirror.

Any chance you could unclip your passenger mirror glass and let me know whether the part number on the mirror motor ends with B or C, please? I suspect, since mirror down works for you, you have a 3D0959578C but if you have the B part then that would be very interesting as it would disprove my theory!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have the mirror down but not seat memory. I am not sure it needs the 7 wire mirror, I'd have thought the 2 positions are stored in another module, then on selecting reverse it sends the commands (as in, allows current to flow in a direction for a period of time) to change from normal-reverse position; and on deselecting it sends the opposite commands to return it, without necessarily needing to know the mirror's position. It might drift out of position slightly if there is no feedback loop though.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the mirror down but not seat memory. I am not sure it needs the 7 wire mirror, I'd have thought the 2 positions are stored in another module, then on selecting reverse it sends the commands (as in, allows current to flow in a direction for a period of time) to change from normal-reverse position; and on deselecting it sends the opposite commands to return it, without necessarily needing to know the mirror's position. It might drift out of position slightly if there is no feedback loop though.
Could you please take a look at which mirror motor you have, then? If you have the B version of the mirror position motor then I would also be interested in knowing the part number of your passenger door control module, as it seems there are C and H versions of that and that could make a difference.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sure, send me another mirror glass because I'll probably break it on removal, and I'll have a look!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you angle the mirror all the way in, you can gently lever out the glass so it unclips properly and you don't break the glass. ;)

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
The glue they use on double sided tape fixing to the heater block is so bad the mirrors often fall off. If it's an older unit, put a small amount of pressure on the glass from behind and check it's secure all the way around and be ready to catch the glass if it flops down. I've had to fix both of mine.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
The elusive "mirror down" feature is one many VW owners, not just Eos owners, crave. Some discover they can enable it and it works; others try and fail. (And for those who don't know: "mirror down" angles the passenger mirror towards the kerb when you engage reverse gear, to aid visibility, and returns to normal when you pull off.)

Some say that the option is only available if you have memory seats. On other models this may be true, but the Eos never had a memory seat module. Some say that the option is only available with MY08 or later, others say they have Golfs older than that that work.

On the Eos, you won't get the "mirror down" feature to work unless you have a memory mirror, and this option is only available from MY08 (and even then, it is only an option). How do you know if you have a memory mirror? The easiest way is to pull the glass off your passenger mirror (carefully lever it) and check the part number of the mirror motor. If you find 3D0959578C which has a 7-pin connector, you have the mirror you need; if you find 3D0959578B which has a 3-pin connector, you'll need to get a new mirror. You can't just replace the mirror motor, because you need extra wires running through the harness.

One thing that makes it harder to find the right replacement mirror is that the replacement part numbers in ETKA are different to the original parts. Another thing is that the letters on the end of the codes for the replacements don't align with the originals. To top it all off, the part number for the post-2008 memory mirror is identical to the part number for the 2007 non-memory mirror.

Having done all this research, I also found a cheap-enough-looking mirror that should have the right part in it (based on the number of wires on the plug - no, really). When it arrives and I get the chance to have a play, I'll be able to update on whether I got it right, and whether anything else appears to be required - the door control module may need updating too.
Hi Aku,

Are you sure that mirror down only works on 08 and newer? My Eos is a 2007 model and I definitely have the mirror down feature when I go into reverse.... to be honest though whilst I do find it really useful that the passenger mirror adjusts itself I wish that the drivers mirror did the same.

I have sourced some facelift heated powerfold wing mirrors to replace mine with. I never considered it before but will I lose the mirror down feature?

Best Regards,

Lee.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I have sourced some facelift heated powerfold wing mirrors to replace mine with. I never considered it before but will I lose the mirror down feature?
Let me know how you get on fitting those, I'd like to get those on MY07. Would I be able to swap over my existing painted covers and turn signal leds to the new mirror bracket and innards and are they the same fit on the door?

According to this listing description the facelift mirrors do tilt down. But I see they have a 13 pin connector - is there some re-wiring to think about?

......And I think you need to replace the mirror switch in the drivers panel.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Are you sure that mirror down only works on 08 and newer? My Eos is a 2007 model and I definitely have the mirror down feature when I go into reverse.... to be honest though whilst I do find it really useful that the passenger mirror adjusts itself I wish that the drivers mirror did the same.
All I can tell you is that, looking in ETKA, the option code for memory mirrors only appears from MY2008. It is possible that they started putting newer parts on the car before MY08 started. I am sitting here with a 13-pin mirror mechanism I ordered to test my theory, and it has a production date in September 2007. It also has the type C motor.

If my theory is correct, you will need to make sure that they have the C-type motor. Mirrors with all the features you can get have 13 wires connected on the passenger side and 11 on the driver's side (on the Eos, only the driver's side mirror has the anti-glare function; only the passenger side has memory).

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
According to this listing description the facelift mirrors do tilt down. But I see they have a 13 pin connector - is there some re-wiring to think about?
The connector is the same 16-pin connector as used for mirrors with fewer functions. They just mean that 13 wires go into it - and 13 wires on the passenger side means the mirror has the memory motor.

Since I'm nerding around the wiring diagram:
  • to control the mirror position there are three wires: one for horizontal movement; one for vertical movement; one common
  • for mirror folding there are two wires
  • there is one wire each for heating, indicator, and entry light, plus a shared negative
  • for anti-glare (driver's side only) there are two wires
  • for the mirror memory (passenger's side only) there are four wires which are not shown on the official wiring diagrams - to check the pinout you have to look at the wiring diagram for the Golf

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When it comes to the door control module, it appears that there are different versions and some early and/or lowline control modules do not have hardware that can support memory mirrors.

From what I've seen (I'm doing research before taking the door card off and trying things), the version 1Q095970xC (with controller 1Q095979yA) has the pins for mirror memory present, so has a chance of working. If your door control module is 1Q095970xB with controller 1Q095979y (no final letter) then the pins are not present for anything more than heated electrically-adjustable mirrors. The later door control module 1Q095970xH has a new controller 5K095979x which is from the mk6 platform and shared with the Golf and Scirocco. In ETKA there are various versions of 1Q095970xC listed (with e.g. Z0A on the end) tied to different levels of mirror features - I don't know whether these represent hardware variations, software version, default coding, or something else. My Eos has the 70xC door control modules so I'm hoping that this is sufficient. Oddly, ETKA doesn't resolve either the electronic controller, nor the B version of the door control module.

x = 1 for driver's side, 2 for passenger's side. y = 3 for driver's side, 2 for passenger's side.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
All I can tell you is that, looking in ETKA, the option code for memory mirrors only appears from MY2008. It is possible that they started putting newer parts on the car before MY08 started. I am sitting here with a 13-pin mirror mechanism I ordered to test my theory, and it has a production date in September 2007. It also has the type C motor.

If my theory is correct, you will need to make sure that they have the C-type motor. Mirrors with all the features you can get have 13 wires connected on the passenger side and 11 on the driver's side (on the Eos, only the driver's side mirror has the anti-glare function; only the passenger side has memory).
Thanks Aku,

I have both wing mirrors in my garage ready to fit (might actually do them today since the weather isn't too bad) so I'll check the connectors first and motor type. My Eos is from September 2007 which is a fortunate coincidence lol.

Best Regards,

Lee.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Thanks aku-aku, plenty for me to look into on MY07 lowline spec. Without tearing into the door cards (again!) can I determine compatibility of the window controllers from vcds header information? Are there any 'adaptation' settings for foldback mirrors, because if I don't see them in module blocks I would assume the window controller hardware/firmware won't be compatible?

Lee - Can you do a write up with photos?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks aku-aku, plenty for me to look into on MY07 lowline spec. Without tearing into the door cards (again!) can I determine compatibility of the window controllers from vcds header information? Are there any 'adaptation' settings for foldback mirrors, because if I don't see them in module blocks I would assume the window controller hardware/firmware won't be compatible?
I don't know about adaptation settings as I've only looked at coding. Ross-Tech's wiki doesn't document anything for adaptation on the mk5 door control modules. Curiously, the folding mirror function is not one of the coding settings before MY08 and on my MY07 it is not coded but the mirrors do fold. There are different modification numbers (source) for the door control module for folding mirrors (option code 6XW) as compared to adjustable only (6XC) or adjustable and heated (6XN). I have no idea how you would check those from VCDS, or if they even make a difference. The one thing you certainly can check is which version of the door control module you have. C versions could be OK; B versions look like they don't have the hardware support.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts