Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had no issues with my tow bar (Westfalia) / bike carrier (Thule) set-up for a couple of years I managed to nause things right up last weekend. I don't leave the tow hook fitted when not in use and when I fitted it for a weekend bike ride I didn't fit it properly...... This was evident because the locking key would not withdraw..... Now I should have realised this but didn't. It felt solid enough so I hitched on the bike carrier and away I went...... You guessed it the tow hook dropped out as I took a roundabout above a motorway junction...:eek::eek::eek:

Fortunately no major damage done to tow hook, carrier or bikes, except the force of separation pulled the spade connectors off the multiplug on the Thule bike carrier.

I found a wiring diagram (thanks Google) and reconnected them, traced all the connections on the carrier from plug to bulbs, all wired correctly and bulbs OK.

When I fit the multiplug to the socket at the rear of the car I get a really weird result..... the rear side light bulb is the only working connection and then only when the right turn signal is operated...:confused::confused::confused:

I guess I must have scrambled the coding in the CANBUS?? I cant think of any other possibility......

Can anyone help??

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
It sounds as though when the wires pulled out some could have shorted? I don't have the towbar (wish I had) so can't help much. I do know there's a VW specific control module that gets fitted with the kit but I think that's just there to sort out the reversing electronics warnings when hitched. You didn't say if all the car electrics are still working normally?

You're probably best talking to a company like pfjones since they would have detailed wiring diagrams which might not be in the workshop manual, because towbars are a VW accessory.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your thoughts Vox. No other issues with the car electrics, though with the towbar and carrier fitted it does report that a bulb is out. I'll take up your suggestions re- contacting PF Jones. They did the original fit and did a professional job. Will report back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts