Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the transmission in my 2012. Did anyone know we were suppose to get our transmission checked every 40,000 miles? I had been taking it to Stokes Volkswagen in Charleston, SC for normal maintenance checks, and maintenance. The dealership informed Volkswagen of America because I didn't request Volkswagen maintenance checks, they didn't perform Volkswagen maintenance checks, so this voided my warranty with a secondary warranty company; eventhough the regular maintenance had been done on the car. I don't recommend Stokes Volkswagen, instead Ottohaus of Charleston.

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
I know many here have emphasised the importance of DSG service and there's plenty about it on the web. I'm not a Lawyer, but if you submitted a car to a genuine V.W dealership (not a sub-franchise) for a service, you not being expert in these things would expect the service to include all service items recommended by V.W including recalls, unless you told them otherwise? You can get a copy of the service sheet recommends from V.W.

However, in U.K some recognized shops pulled the wool over the eyes of EOS buyers because the service schedule specifies a 'Roof Service' for the EOS at extra cost. Many sales people were telling EOS buyers that the roof didn't need any servicing and after 3 years some wondered why their roofs leaked! Of course when you buy a new car you will ask about servicing costs and hiding the EOS roof service additional cost appears to make the EOS comparable to other models when it isn't.

In U.K there's a difference between V.W authentic dealerships who handle after sales factory warranty repairs recognized by V.W national customer service, and franchises - who are like independents using the V.W branding with big signs and sell V.W cars. If you buy a used car from the authentic dealerships, they all have to comply with V.W pre-sales checks and their warranty is pretty solid.

·
Registered
269 Posts
In U.K there's a difference between V.W authentic dealerships who handle after sales factory warranty repairs recognized by V.W national customer service, and franchises - who are like independents using the V.W branding with big signs and sell V.W cars.
What's the difference?

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
If they are authorised to carry out V.W warranty work on new cars in their own workshops and reclaim the cost of their labor once work has been authorised, you can be confident you are in the right place. V.W customer services publish a list of 'authorised' dealerships. Others may sell and repair V.W cars with V.W branding visible on their premises, but may be running as an independent franchise. When you buy a used car from these, they will often sell a warranty which is an insurance policy on which they make commission. Those policies may not be so extensive as those sold by an authorised dealership or the inclusive 3 year new car factory warranty.

Contact V.W customer services to find out if your dealership is recognised for doing factory warranty repairs and servicing on new cars less than 3 years old and carries out V.Ws multi point inspection and checks on their used vehicles before sale?

My visits to a VAGS stealer are extremely rare - twice in 15 years! But if I do have any contact, it's usually through an Audi, Seat or Skoda shop and now doesn't involve warranty work. I avoid my local V.W authorised Stealers because they won't share on problem issues and hide any technical help or knowledge behind their customer service gatekeepers.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't think there's any franchises who sell new VW and aren't part of the Das Welt Auto used car scheme. I've not heard about non-authorised VW dealers either, AFAIK they all do warranty work.

·
Life is good... so far
1,065 Posts
If you bought the car new, you should have a set of booklets that came with the car. Had you read them you would have known what is serviced and when. The DSG is serviced Every 40,000 miles which includes a fluid change and new filter. Since this is not a factory required service the dealer wont automatically do it. Surprised the dealer never recommended it as it is an easy $350-400 in their pockets and most dealers are always looking to pad their profits. Unfortunately you found out too late and you ended up buying a new trans. Extended warranties are only good if you can prove you were doing ALL of the factory recommended services.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts