Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2009 convertible will not open the windows go down the sunroof goes back and it quits. I've went through a lot of diagnosis and not been able to find anything yet. The one thing I did notice is that when I pop my trunk it does not show on my – that the trunk is open would that interfere with the convertible opening?

·
Registered
227 Posts
You need to scan the Central Convenience module (46) and also if possible read off some live data, there's 2 parameters which relate to the boot (unlock signal and boot open, or something like that). Also with some scan tools they can send bidirectional data ie they can send the "open the boot" signal (but you can do that easily anyway - there is a switch on the driver's door to do it).

If something is electrically wrong it will probably store a fault code which will guide you, for example 00950 Central Locking Motor tailgate (V53) UNLOCK - sporadic 007 - short to ground.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
There are two electronically interlinked parts to the trunk locking. The lock and motor in the lid and the power latching unit behind the rear lower panel. The upper lock switches on the trunk light and the same internal switch tells the convenience unit the trunk is open or locked to give the trunk open warning if you drive off with the lid open. The lock status is also used for roof control and will stall roof operation if it's not working. I would open the trunk and check if the trunk light comes on. If it does the lid lock switch and wiring is probably o.k. If no lamp lit, then investigate the lock and wiring (Brown/Black).

The power latching unit which pulls the lid down and raises the lock keep roller is a bit more complicated. If the motor is working you should hear the normal 'whirr' sounds as the lid lifts or is pulled down. This unit also has internal status switches for up and down, but unlike the upper lid lock, these switches are linked to its internal control module and send their status to the roof control module with codes. The roof control module returns the raise and lower control signals.

When you lock or unlock the trunk you think the lock and power latch are one single function when in fact they are two using different digital signals which happen to be time coincident. They do it this way so the roof controller can raise the lock keep roller to lift the lid off the trunk seal, but independently control the lock for the lid swing out. Easy isn't it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So my latch was working properly as far as the door control. It just did not show up on my screen. I just took the upper latch off and I have one of the prongs broke off on the latch side. Must be the one that triggers my dash light. I will have to order new latch and report back when installed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So i didnt see your post till after i left shop so i didnt check the trunk light yet. But the upper latch electric plug in was badly corroded and one of the male prongs completely gone. I will replace that but could that also effect my convertible top not working?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Must be the one that triggers my dash light.
It does more than just trigger the dash light, think of it more as a "the boot is open" signal. When the convertible top operates, it rolls the windows down (sends a signal to the window* control modules), opens the sunroof to the fully back position then it unlatches and opens the boot lid backwards. It checks the unlatching opened the boot.....by wanting to see that signal....

I thought it would be a case of the green crusties, a broken pin is more involved! Hopefully you can fix it but if not, the latch is shared with a few other VAG cars (Audi A4? Passat? I think) so its not horrendously expensive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, im pretty sure there is no fixing it so i will be ordering a new one. I will report back when installed

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
It does more than just trigger the dash light, think of it more as a "the boot is open" signal.
I looked at and fully understood the wiring diagram! That's correct, but since the only switch in the upper lock is connected to the Convenience Module (which turns on the trunk light) and he doesn't have diagnostics but his eyes, the trunk light is the easiest way to tell if the switch is operating or not.

If the trunk light isn't on when he looks down at the rear panel left side and the bulb is o.k, it proves there is no switch signal reaching the convenience module. Q.E.D.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So i put on the new upper trunk latch and the trunk light started working and the mfd did too. I tried to raise my top and it did the exact same thing as before the trunk latch for a few Cycles. I kept cycling it and after about four or five Cycles the convertible top started working and have not had any problems since. Just wanted to update everyone and let them know that I believe it was the bad trunk latch that was preventing my convertible top from opening

1 - 11 of 11 Posts