Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when the trunk is released either by key fob or door switch, it pops but regrabs and locks within 2seconds. Only way to open it is to be ready to grab the lip as soon as it is released!!!

any thoughts?

Ron

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
When the trunk lock releases, the roller lifting motor should be heard to 'whir' and the trunk lid should release its tension on the rubber seal and lift up about an inch due to a combination of the gas struts and the adjustable rubber buffers on either side. Your lid isn't raising enough for the lock switch to say 'I'm open' and the lid thinks it has to close, which is what normally happens when you lower it down.

You need to check:
1. The roller lifting motor can be heard to 'whir' when the trunk lid is opened.
2. The lid gas struts haven't gone soft.
3. The adjustable buffer heights are set to allow the lid to lift up above the lock keep roller bar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am guessing on the worn lid struts but will attempt a small buffer adjustment 1st.

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I am guessing on the worn lid struts
I don't guess. They are easy to remove one at a time and compress hard on bathroom scales. Compare the readings in kgf for each side. These gas struts only play a small part and when the lid is near closed, just set the lid to balance with very little upwards contribution.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Its just worn seals or buffers not adjusted right, Its not going to be the struts because they don't push the boot up from the closed position due to the angle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wanted to share I have the exact same problem. If you figure out what the fix is can you post? Thank you!

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
The rear lid sprung buffer height is self adjusted automatically:

1. Press down and turn the top of the buffer 45 degrees.
2. Loosen a small clamp screw on the side until you can see it.
3. Pull the buffer top up slightly to make it higher.
4. Close the rear lid
5. Open the rear lid.
6. Screw in the buffer clamp screw to a depth of 20mm +5mm.
7. Press the buffer top down and turn through 45 degrees.
8. Check the setting in (6)
9. Repeat for the other buffer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rear lid sprung buffer height is self adjusted automatically:

1. Press down and turn the top of the buffer 45 degrees.
2. Loosen a small clamp screw on the side until you can see it.
3. Pull the buffer top up slightly to make it higher.
4. Close the rear lid
5. Open the rear lid.
6. Screw in the buffer clamp screw to a depth of 20mm +5mm.
7. Press the buffer top down and turn through 45 degrees.
8. Check the setting in (6)
9. Repeat for the other buffer.

I assume the inner liner for the trunk lid needs to be removed for these procedures?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pull the trunk release latch on the door, then press the door unlock button while the trunk is unlatching. This info was in an earlier post and was attributed to a VW dealer. It works for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts