1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hope y'all having a lovely day.
this is my first post in the forum.
Looking for some help/wisdom.

My car is a 2008 Diesel TDi. After 2k rpm the engine loses a lot of power (that is because the turbo turns off as I can no longer hear it sucking in air). The engine malfunction light keeps flashing until I restart the car. Normal turbo functionality returns when I restart the car.

If i keep driving under 2k rpm the turbo keeps working (i can hear it sucking air) and the car drives normal. But as soon as I go above 2k, turbo turns off and engine malfunction light flashes.

I looked under the hood and can see one huge hose with a little rip (pic attached). I could not identify what hose it is, but as my turbo is turning off at a high rpm, so I am guessing it might be the turbo intake hose. It could also be the exhaust intake/out hose, or the radiator hose.

Also could be the turbo is turning off due to low exhaust back pressure :confused: if its a exhaust hose?

Would you know what hose it is and what should I order (possibly from ebay) to replace it? (circled hose in pic attached)

Any wisdom on if replacing this hose might fix my issue, or i hope not, its a full turbo replace ?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
If you want to know what the issue with the turbo is, plug the car into a VW-specific diagnostic tool (VCDS or OBDeleven). It will tell you the condition that caused the fault - i.e. whether it's overboost, underboost or something else - and then you can treat more than just the visible symptom.

Of course, it makes sense to fix the leaky hose - you can find a diagram here and should convince yourself that 3C0145834M is the correct part number. Since it appears to be part of the pressurised air system I think you're probably on the money about the cause of the fault.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you want to know what the issue with the turbo is, plug the car into a VW-specific diagnostic tool (VCDS or OBDeleven). It will tell you the condition that caused the fault - i.e. whether it's overboost, underboost or something else - and then you can treat more than just the visible symptom.
Yes that will be my next step if replacing the hose doesn't fix the issue.

Of course, it makes sense to fix the leaky hose - you can find a diagram here and should convince yourself that 3C0145834M is the correct part number. Since it appears to be part of the pressurised air system I think you're probably on the money about the cause of the fault.
Thanks! thats exactly what I wanted to know! I can now call around wreckers/dealers and see if someone's got one in stock. Ebay shows a 2 week delivery time to Perth.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Glad I could help out. It's well worth bookmarking that site as it's the full parts catalogue and will help you find anything you may need for your Eos in future. And since you're obviously the kind of person who doesn't mind fixing thing yourself when things go wrong, it could be a good idea to invest in diagnostics regardless of the result, so you're ready for the next thing. If you have an Android phone I can highly recommend OBDeleven as an easy diagnostic solution that you'll always have with you.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! Is that the Perth in Australia or Scotland? (Or maybe another one, there could be more)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad I could help out. It's well worth bookmarking that site as it's the full parts catalogue and will help you find anything you may need for your Eos in future. And since you're obviously the kind of person who doesn't mind fixing thing yourself when things go wrong, it could be a good idea to invest in diagnostics regardless of the result, so you're ready for the next thing. If you have an Android phone I can highly recommend OBDeleven as an easy diagnostic solution that you'll always have with you.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! Is that the Perth in Australia or Scotland? (Or maybe another one, there could be more)
That's Perth in the land down under mate! Thanks for the info. I think it is high time to get some OBD tool. Hope the OBD could tell me something about this leaking roof hah.

Unfortunately that website is not accessible from here :-( Guess they dont want aussies accessing it for some reason :confused:

For people looking for the part in the future and come across this post. Dealerships in Perth have quoted me AU$ 210 (including tax) and a one day delivery.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Although any visible sign of a damaged hose should be fixed, it seems strange to me that an air inlet hose would be the direct cause of a turbo shutting down? But these turbos have a vacuum/electronic control loop system to change and regulate their blade pitch and clearly it isn't happy because the MIL light is coming on. Even so, I wouldn't think the range of control on error would be so large as to turn it off completely, but a broken hose on the exhaust or pressure boost side would.

I would tape around the damage on the inlet hose first to seal it and see if the problem goes away? If not I think I would be looking elsewhere? But as already said, vcds or OBD eleven etc can tell you the boost and control vacuum pressures. You should hear no air noises coming from the turbo plumbing so I would thoroughly check all the other hoses, find the leak and stop the noise.

If you have a problem getting good access to all the hoses connected to the turbo or your ears are bad, grab a kitchen spray bottle, fill it with soapy water, spray over every hose you can see and look for the bubbles! :cool:

I don't think splitting turbo hoses are a common fault? After replacing any hoses found to have split I would use diagnostics to check the maximum turbo boost pressure is normal - aku-aku knows about that. Has this engine been tuned?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Although any visible sign of a damaged hose should be fixed, it seems strange to me that an air inlet hose would be the direct cause of a turbo shutting down? But these turbos have a vacuum/electronic control loop system to change and regulate their blade pitch and clearly it isn't happy because the MIL light is coming on. Even so, I wouldn't think the range of control on error would be so large as to turn it off completely, but a broken hose on the exhaust or pressure boost side would.

I would tape around the damage on the inlet hose first to seal it and see if the problem goes away? If not I think I would be looking elsewhere? But as already said, vcds or OBD eleven etc can tell you the boost and control vacuum pressures. You should hear no air noises coming from the turbo plumbing so I would thoroughly check all the other hoses, find the leak and stop the noise.

If you have a problem getting good access to all the hoses connected to the turbo or your ears are bad, grab a kitchen spray bottle, fill it with soapy water, spray over every hose you can see and look for the bubbles! :cool:

I don't think splitting turbo hoses are a common fault? After replacing any hoses found to have split I would use diagnostics to check the maximum turbo boost pressure is normal - aku-aku knows about that. Has this engine been tuned?
Thanks for your inputs voxmagna! The dealership has given me an updated timeframe of around a week so I am currenly scrolling through ebay for the part. In the meantime, I have fixed the leak temporarily using a bike punture repair kit and lots of duct tape. I can now go above 2k RPM so this leak definitely feels like the culprit. The hissing sound has changed to a higher pitch now, obviously my patch work is not that good and the pressure is leaking from somewhere along the patch.

I do feel my turbo spinning more than normal at lower RPMS (to maintain pressure dropping because of the leak), I dont want to stress test it to see how much higher RPMs I can acheive with my patchwork :D

The heat shield below the hood (and above the leaking hose) has got a little hole where the hose has been leaking air.

and no, this engine has never been tuned.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Sounds like it will be fixed soon. You are right to be careful not to do too many miles. In pressure terms, turbo boost pressures aren't that high but a large diameter rubber hose will be under a lot of stress. If you had some hard tube the correct inside diameter then as a temporary fix you could have cut the hose and used that with 2 jubilee hose clips.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Unfortunately that website is not accessible from here :-( Guess they dont want aussies accessing it for some reason :confused:
Search for "etka online" and you should find a bunch of alternative sites that host the VW parts catalogue in a similar format :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts