Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2007 VW Eos, I have upgraded the standard parking sensors to optical (OPS) this meant replacing the parking sensor module, running a new cable to the powertrain canbus, replacing the rear sensors and the loom.

Works fine except......

I now have no “obstacle in rear” warning when close to another car.

Anyone know if this can be rectified?

Thanks

James

·
Registered
843 Posts
I'll be interested to hear if anyone has made this work, as this was an upgrade I'd considered.

If I were to hazard a guess I'd say you'd need to upgrade another control module - possibly the roof control module - to one that supports OPS, since the parking sensor data is now a different channel on the CAN bus, and the module responsible for sending the "obstacle in rear area" message will need to know where to listen. PDC data is evidently not critical to roof operation, at least partly because some models don't have PDC.

That's a guess though, don't go spending money on account of my speculation! Hopefully someone knows of a post in the German forum or elsewhere, where someone has actually done the OPS retrofit on an early Eos.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
I was also interested in OPS. MY07 EOS is lowline only with audible sensors. What I'd like is to add sensors to the front fender. Has anybody done this?

My PO (wife) had more scrapes running over low kerb stones when parking than anything ever hitting the rear. After getting the fender re-painted I'd like to avoid the same thing happening. Thought about designing a couple of 'antennae' sensors. :confused:

Aku-aku: The standard EOS parking sensor controller must talk to the roof controller to inhibit roof op and stop the trunk swing out if there's something behind you, or if a towing hitch is connected and you tried to open the roof. That would require the OPS system firmware and roof controller to be compatible so I think you are on the right track.

It all gets very techi, but you could analyze the canbus and try to discover which PID is assigned to the parking sensor. There are so many PIDs flying around I've always found it a bit hard. But by capturing the bus traffic then forcing the sensor to operate you can compare two saved files?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Vox, I installed the OPS retrofit kit from Carsystems.eu. I did not have the PDC installed beforehand. I used the 8 sensor kit for both front and rear detection. Not too bad of a job as there were location markings on the backside of both bumper covers. After coding, the RNS-510 intergraded both the OPS and the RVC displays nicely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paperman,

How does it work with the roof?

Do you get the warning on the dash "obstacle in rear" and no operation of the roof?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I never had the chance to check the operation of the roof with an object detected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok,

Thanks.

When you installed the kit to the front, what sort of markings where on it for the sensors?

I am keen to install the same, I believe I can simply add the wiring and sensors to my current module.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If memory serves me, there were circles with cross hairs in 4 places on both bumper covers. I also used a hole saw to remove some of the foam that is behind the covers to make room for the sensors.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Necroposting to keep things on topic and hoping @jamesworts or @paperman might be around and at least have e-mail notifications turned on...

I've done some reading on the evolution of PDC and OPS. At some point around May 2007, PDC was switched from being on the convenience CAN bus to the powertrain CAN bus. At the same time, the part number for the PDC module changed from 1Q0919283 to 1K0919475; the sensors changed from 3D0998275A to 7L5919275A (a different shape but still made by Bosch and with the same pinout); and the wiring of the CAN connections, power and speaker to the PDC module changed. Interestingly, the roof control module did not change around this time.

Later, the PDC was revised to support the optical display, and versions from 1K0919475K onwards support this. I'm still calling it PDC because it's labelled "Einparkhilfe".

Later still, the new OPS was introduced, and the module moved from the rear to the front of the car, renamed "Parkhilfe" and suffixed with either 4K (rear sensors only) or 8K (front and rear). Around the same time, the roof control module was incremented from version D to version E.

If you buy an OPS retrofit kit you will get the last version of OPS. I reckon that this is not compatible with the older roof control modules (that's why you don't get the "obstacle in rear area" alert), and upgrading to the 475K PDC module should support the optical display while leaving other functionality intact. If you have a car made after May 2007 then you will have the gateway and wiring required so it should be a straight swap.

I've now got a 475K PDC module on order to test my theory...

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
You very are patient to get these things all working! I don't have the reverse display on my clone radio, although I have a newer VAG car which has it. I've always assumed its display showing area boundary lines was virtual and not the same as looking at a real camera image? MY07 hasn't had any changes done, will the sensors be ultrasonic? I read somewhere that some of these car sensors are 2.4Ghz Doppler radar or a combination of the two? My Bosch laser tape measure and cheap Chinese equivalents are pretty accurate for a spot distance measurement, is this the principle of the V.W optical sensors?

I started off looking for a simple mod to duplicate the rear sensors (as front/rear pairs) for the front bumper using some logic to 'OR' each pair together because I only need audio and the roof trunk lid swing out protection? But if each sensor has a unique address code or data output, my idea won't work. I could even accept a switch to select front or rear bumper sensing worst case as I always know if I'm moving forwards or back. It's those damn low concrete kerb blocks across parking spaces that cause my problem. You can't see them until you hear them scraping underneath the front bumper plastic. I must say I've never had an accuracy problem with the reversing beeper and even the rear corners seem to be within the obstacle sensing zone.

·
Registered
843 Posts
What can I say? I'm still working from home, I can get used parts cheaply online, and I like a challenge. ;)

The sensors have two common wires from the PDC unit, but each has its own signal wire. ETKA says they're all ultrasound sensors, even MY06; from reading the German Eos forum it seems like the old sensors may not be compatible with the newer PDC and new ones may be required. That might scupper my project!

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
I had a quick scan of the wiring diagram for MY07. I have 4 sensors in the rear bumper G203,G204,G205 &G206. They are 3 wire, two are +ve and -ve ground and the third is a signal wire connected to the Parking Aid Control unit J446. Looking at the part pnemonic, each sensor has an integral ultrasonic emitter and receiver. I would like to think the single wire output is simple analogue, but since the sensitivity is adjustable in diagnostics, it may be a more complicated single wire comms bus for data out and in. Need to put a 'scope on one to verify. I might hook up one of my ultrasonic receivers and see if I can detect them running.

There are notes explaining that the parking sensor and trunk lid protection are two separate functions requiring two different (distance?) settings:

Note
♦ The boot lid assist system (BLA) is integrated into the parking
aid system (parking distance warning system (PDW)).
♦ During convertible roof operation, the boot lid assist system
(BLA) has priority over the parking aid system (parking distance
warning system (PDW)).
♦ When faced with complaints, it is absolutely necessary that
one understands the function and operation of the parking aid
system and the boot lid assist system.
♦ Additional information ⇒ Operating manual
♦ ⇒ Self-study programme No. 355 ; The 2006 Eos

Parking aid or parking distance warning system
The parking aid system or PDC (Park Distance Control) supports
the driver during parking manoeuvres by indicating the distance
from the rear of the vehicle to the obstacle by way of acoustic
signals.
Boot lid assist
The boot lid assist serves to prevent collisions with the boot lid
during convertible roof operation. Compared to the parking aid,
the monitoring area is modified and warns the driver both acoustically
and with a text message in the dash panel display or by
interrupting convertible roof operation, which may be resumed by
pressing the convertible roof switch again.
WARNING
♦ If the process is continued by pressing the convertible roof
switch again following interruption of convertible roof operation,
the sensors do not continue monitoring. Danger
of damage!
♦ The boot lid assist is deactivated before the boot lid descends
into the detection range of the sensors. Obstacles
which develop following deactivation cannot be detected!
The parking aid system and the boot lid assist system consist of:
♦ Parking aid control unit -J446-
♦ Parking aid warning buzzer -H15-
♦ Rear left parking aid sender -G203-
♦ Rear left centre parking aid sender -G204-
♦ Rear right centre parking aid sender -G205-
♦ Rear right parking aid sender -G206-
Fault detection and fault display:
The parking aid system is equipped with self-diagnosis, which
makes fault finding easier.
Eos 2006 ➤

·
Registered
843 Posts
Another fun issue with the sensors is that the newer sensors have a different pinout, and send signal on pin 1 instead of pin 2 - which means that upgrading the sensors would mean rewiring the harness.

I don't know how much work it is to take the bumper off, but I'm now contemplating buying an old sensor, a new sensor and an oscilloscope. At this rate it might be easier - and possibly even cheaper - just to retrofit a reversing camera!

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
- just to retrofit a reversing camera!
That's what I thought because the rearview image on the display is only a graphic template and if the sensor coverages don't match their on screen graphic markers you can't rely on them. One camera aligned correctly can replace 4+ sensors and give more information if you keep the lens clean

1 - 14 of 14 Posts