Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Volkswagen Eos, Komfort 2.0L
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was ready to buy a new Eos back in 2015, I was disappointed that the Executive and Final Edition trims were no longer available and I went and bought the Komfort trim (still it was a great price when they were clearing out models).

Over time, I made upgrades to make it more comfortable and enjoyable since I have no plans to sell it anytime soon (has 73k miles on it):
-added a backup camera to look like it came from the factory (NAV-TV was the manufacturer).
-added the two rear speakers so I have 10 speakers instead of 8 (FYI...the wiring was there to plug in the speakers).
-swapped out the RSN 315 for the better RSN 510. I wanted the traffic integration with the GPS that the RSN 315 didn’t provide.
-installed 2 garage door open switches where the blank dummy switches are by the gear shift (again looks like factory installed-by Double Apex).
-installed a wireless charger where the storage lid was that covers the 12v outlet (looks like it was also from the factory as it still functions like a lid).
-added ghost lamps in the doors to display the VW logo.
-added the factory chrome vinyl strip to the bottom of the trunk lid (gave it a touch of flair to the rear of the car).

I wanted to add a USB port to one of the remaining dummy blanks by the gear shift but the part is never in stock by Double Apex but it’s not a big deal now that a charging pad is in place and I have the factory midi cable in the armrest for my iPhone.

These are minor updates but enough to make the ride a little more enjoyable.

Interested in hearing what changes were done by the forum members...

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
You are lucky you started with that trim level . MY07 EOS TDi Sport is Lowline with not a lot much 'extra' but fancy wheels and harder suspension. I think I'd sacrifice those, even leather seats for more comfort features giving a more comfortable ride rather than more tweaks? I have no fancy steering wheel controls, climatic controls or even cruise control (now added). My other VAG is a Skoda and it has everything. But the EOS roof works, the engine is good, it has 2 new painted fenders, 64K, 57-60mpg and hasn't let me down yet with big bills. It just takes up a lot of time taking care of it pro-actively.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
258 Posts
When I was ready to buy a new Eos back in 2015, I was disappointed that the Executive and Final Edition trims were no longer available and I went and bought the Komfort trim (still it was a great price when they were clearing out models).

Over time, I made upgrades to make it more comfortable and enjoyable since I have no plans to sell it anytime soon (has 73k miles on it):
-added a backup camera to look like it came from the factory (NAV-TV was the manufacturer).
-added the two rear speakers so I have 10 speakers instead of 8 (FYI...the wiring was there to plug in the speakers).
-swapped out the RSN 315 for the better RSN 510. I wanted the traffic integration with the GPS that the RSN 315 didn’t provide.
-installed 2 garage door open switches where the blank dummy switches are by the gear shift (again looks like factory installed-by Double Apex).
-installed a wireless charger where the storage lid was that covers the 12v outlet (looks like it was also from the factory as it still functions like a lid).
-added ghost lamps in the doors to display the VW logo.
-added the factory chrome vinyl strip to the bottom of the trunk lid (gave it a touch of flair to the rear of the car).

I wanted to add a USB port to one of the remaining dummy blanks by the gear shift but the part is never in stock by Double Apex but it’s not a big deal now that a charging pad is in place and I have the factory midi cable in the armrest for my iPhone.

These are minor updates but enough to make the ride a little more enjoyable.

Interested in hearing what changes were done by the forum members...
Interesting about your speakers. Standard audio system has eight speakers, Dynaudio has 10, which adds two mid range speakers in the front doors. If you don't have the Dynaudio system, you don't have the wiring for the door mounted mid-range speakers. So if I understand what you wrote, you have three speakers in each door and only two in the rear? Which two were in the rear? The woofer or the tweeter?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting about your speakers. Standard audio system has eight speakers, Dynaudio has 10, which adds two mid range speakers in the front doors. If you don't have the Dynaudio system, you don't have the wiring for the door mounted mid-range speakers. So if I understand what you wrote, you have three speakers in each door and only two in the rear? Which two were in the rear? The woofer or the tweeter?
There were no tweeters in the rear as the Komfort trim were advertised with 8 speakers. When the rear panels were removed, the wiring was already there. Pretty lazy of VW just not adding them and making it 10 speakers in the Komfort trim. They were lesser quality then the Executive trim with the Dynaudio but even so, when they were installed, they made a nice sound difference when the top was up.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
258 Posts
There were no tweeters in the rear as the Komfort trim were advertised with 8 speakers. When the rear panels were removed, the wiring was already there. Pretty lazy of VW just not adding them and making it 10 speakers in the Komfort trim. They were lesser quality then the Executive trim with the Dynaudio but even so, when they were installed, they made a nice sound difference when the top was up.
Without a amplifier, how does the factory head unit handle 10 speakers? Each door which normally has two 8 ohm speakers, which are wired in parallel and provides a 4 ohm load to each channel. Adding two more speakers would drop the ohm's to a dangerous level for the head unit to handle. I suspect that is why there were only eight speakers. Anyway, it may never become an issue, but if your head unit's amplifier craps out, you will know why.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
258 Posts
Are you absolutely positive there are three speakers in each front door? All the EOS's have the grill for the mid range but its normally empty

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you absolutely positive there are three speakers in each front door? All the EOS's have the grill for the mid range but its normally empty
Correct. Six speakers were in the front and only two were in the back. It throws people off as there were the additional grills in the rear that were empty.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wasn’t a problem as I had previously upgraded the unit to the RNS 510. Handles all ten speakers with no issues.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Without a amplifier, how does the factory head unit handle 10 speakers? Each door which normally has two 8 ohm speakers, which are wired in parallel and provides a 4 ohm load to each channel. Adding two more speakers would drop the ohm's to a dangerous level for the head unit to handle. I suspect that is why there were only eight speakers. Anyway, it may never become an issue, but if your head unit's amplifier craps out, you will know why.
Wasn’t a problem as I had previously upgraded the unit to the RNS 510. Handles all ten speakers with no issues.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Neither I nor the parts catalogue have heard of an eight-speaker setup that has midrange speakers in the front - they're only present with Dynaudio, and the grilles are empty on other models. Similarly, the only factory configuration I know of with no tweeters in the rear is the basic four-speaker setup which has no woofers in the rear either. The mk5 Golf had a ten-speaker setup with no amplifier that used crossovers in the front doors to split the signal between the three speakers, but that wasn't used on the Eos. Indeed, the only midrange speakers I know of are the Dynaudio ones.

The RNS510 has a four-channel output, so if there's no amplifier under a plastic cover under the left front seat, there must be something unusual going on in the front doors. The wiring for Dynaudio is completely different to the non-Dynaudio wiring. And you'd know if you had the Dynaudio speakers and amplifier because the RNS510 would need coding for it, and it'd remind you with the startup logo every time you switch it on.

It is possible that something very odd happened either in the factory or somewhere else before sale, or the parts catalogue is wrong, so I'd be very intrigued to know how this setup works! :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Neither I nor the parts catalogue have heard of an eight-speaker setup that has midrange speakers in the front - they're only present with Dynaudio, and the grilles are empty on other models. Similarly, the only factory configuration I know of with no tweeters in the rear is the basic four-speaker setup which has no woofers in the rear either. The mk5 Golf had a ten-speaker setup with no amplifier that used crossovers in the front doors to split the signal between the three speakers, but that wasn't used on the Eos. Indeed, the only midrange speakers I know of are the Dynaudio ones.

The RNS510 has a four-channel output, so if there's no amplifier under a plastic cover under the left front seat, there must be something unusual going on in the front doors. The wiring for Dynaudio is completely different to the non-Dynaudio wiring. And you'd know if you had the Dynaudio speakers and amplifier because the RNS510 would need coding for it, and it'd remind you with the startup logo every time you switch it on.

It is possible that something very odd happened either in the factory or somewhere else before sale, or the parts catalogue is wrong, so I'd be very intrigued to know how this setup works! :)
Well all I know is I have a 10 speaker system now in my 2015 Eos and it works great. I learned of the layout of the speakers from the almighty Voxmagna in a thread a couple of years back and had it confirmed by the audio installation place that added the speakers in the rear and saw the wiring when the panels were removed (it’s an audio place...don’t you think that if they can make more money adding more speakers to areas that are missing, that they would do it...).

Wasn’t expecting a long discussion on speaker layout. I was just curious as to what upgrades other Eos drivers have done to their cars over the years.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
258 Posts

Your spot on. I suspect previous work was done on the car as it did not come from VW in that configuration. If mid range speakers were added, then that might explain why two of the rear speakers were removed as to balance the load for the head unit. All of the data I have confirms exactly what you have stated, there are no wiring diagrams that include mid range speakers in the doors except with the Dynaudio option.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your spot on. I suspect previous work was done on the car as it did not come from VW in that configuration. If mid range speakers were added, then that might explain why two of the rear speakers were removed as to balance the load for the head unit. All of the data I have confirms exactly what you have stated, there are no wiring diagrams that include mid range speakers in the doors except with the Dynaudio option.
VW may have made the change in the last model year given mine is a 2015 and they had upgraded the final year Komfort trim (and the final edition) to include the RSN 315 so people can have a navigation system. Remember I bought mine new from VW so the speaker layout came that way from the factory.

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
258 Posts
Well all I know is I have a 10 speaker system now in my 2015 Eos and it works great. I learned of the layout of the speakers from the almighty Voxmagna in a thread a couple of years back and had it confirmed by the audio installation place that added the speakers in the rear and saw the wiring when the panels were removed (it’s an audio place...don’t you think that if they can make more money adding more speakers to areas that are missing, that they would do it...).

Wasn’t expecting a long discussion on speaker layout. I was just curious as to what upgrades other Eos drivers have done to their cars over the years.
The problem lies in the fact that no one else has reported three door speakers in a non-dynaudio equipped EOS. The VW parts catalog lists the mid-range as a Dynaudio item, for sound systems without Dynaudio, there is listed only a tweeter and woofer.

If we look at the parts listing for the 2016 EOS Komfort, you can see there are no mid range speakers listed. If a non-dynaudio three speaker system was available, the part would be listed but all we have is a mid range listed for the Dynaudio sound system

I don't know what to make of your configuration, as it defies the wiring diagrams that are available and is not corroborated by the VW parts catalog. The presence of a plug for your rear speakers also goes against what VW normally does, if you car does not come from the factory with a specific option, then you don't get the wiring harness/plug for that option.

That leaves several possibilities though, it could be that the dealer modified the sound system, maybe for another customer who backed out of the sale, removing two of the rear speakers and adding the Dynaudio mids to the front doors. Another possibility could be that during manufacture, a VW tech forgot to install two rear speakers, hence why the wiring was there but no speakers. Of course that wouldn't explain the mid ranges speakers, that would require a custom wiring harness.

The factory door speaker configuration is a single channel fed into the lower woofer, which is full range. Out of the lower woofer that same single channel is fed to the tweeter, which has a inline capacitor to filter out the low frequencies. A mid range would require a bandpass filter, that is a cap and coil, as the low frequencies would need to be filtered out and the high frequencies would need to be filtered out. This actually does not exist at all in the VW catalog of parts as the bandpass filtering is taken care of by the Dynaudio amplifier mounted under the seat. So there just is no way a mid range could be installed without cutting/modifying the existing wire harness and implementation of a passive bandpass filter being installed.

Its too bad you don't have detailed pictures of the inside of the front doors, as I would love to see what is going on and how the mid range was implemented into the sound system. It would also provide a better clue if it was done at the VW dealer prior to sale.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The problem lies in the fact that no one else has reported three door speakers in a non-dynaudio equipped EOS. The VW parts catalog lists the mid-range as a Dynaudio item, for sound systems without Dynaudio, there is listed only a tweeter and woofer.

If we look at the parts listing for the 2016 EOS Komfort, you can see there are no mid range speakers listed. If a non-dynaudio three speaker system was available, the part would be listed but all we have is a mid range listed for the Dynaudio sound system

I don't know what to make of your configuration, as it defies the wiring diagrams that are available and is not corroborated by the VW parts catalog. The presence of a plug for your rear speakers also goes against what VW normally does, if you car does not come from the factory with a specific option, then you don't get the wiring harness/plug for that option.

That leaves several possibilities though, it could be that the dealer modified the sound system, maybe for another customer who backed out of the sale, removing two of the rear speakers and adding the Dynaudio mids to the front doors. Another possibility could be that during manufacture, a VW tech forgot to install two rear speakers, hence why the wiring was there but no speakers. Of course that wouldn't explain the mid ranges speakers, that would require a custom wiring harness.

The factory door speaker configuration is a single channel fed into the lower woofer, which is full range. Out of the lower woofer that same single channel is fed to the tweeter, which has a inline capacitor to filter out the low frequencies. A mid range would require a bandpass filter, that is a cap and coil, as the low frequencies would need to be filtered out and the high frequencies would need to be filtered out. This actually does not exist at all in the VW catalog of parts as the bandpass filtering is taken care of by the Dynaudio amplifier mounted under the seat. So there just is no way a mid range could be installed without cutting/modifying the existing wire harness and implementation of a passive bandpass filter being installed.

Its too bad you don't have detailed pictures of the inside of the front doors, as I would love to see what is going on and how the mid range was implemented into the sound system. It would also provide a better clue if it was done at the VW dealer prior to sale.
Way too much time discussing speakers that I won’t get back...lol...I have ten and I very happy with with the robust sound...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You are lucky you started with that trim level . MY07 EOS TDi Sport is Lowline with not a lot much 'extra' but fancy wheels and harder suspension. I think I'd sacrifice those, even leather seats for more comfort features giving a more comfortable ride rather than more tweaks? I have no fancy steering wheel controls, climatic controls or even cruise control (now added). My other VAG is a Skoda and it has everything. But the EOS roof works, the engine is good, it has 2 new painted fenders, 64K, 57-60mpg and hasn't let me down yet with big bills. It just takes up a lot of time taking care of it pro-actively.
I do drive the car with the top down a great deal of the time. I always wondered if having leatherette seats instead of leather was better with the sun and the hot weather.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My car is a 2012 Komfort model without the Dynaudio upgrade but I do have three speakers in each door as well as the two back seat speakers which sound like woofers. However, I don't know whether the speakers were upgraded before I got the car, but if so whoever worked on the speakers didn't put in very good speakers. They sound like OEM speakers to me.
Rick

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Way too much time discussing speakers that I won’t get back...lol...I have ten and I very happy with with the robust sound...
Hi. I dug out the paperwork that was done. The speakers were pulled from the door and replaced with Sony speakers with the midrange added and a Sony Crossover module. It all works well with no negative effects anywhere. I was thinking of adding lights to the door reflectors. If that gets done, I’ll get a picture of the speaker setup for you as you requested.
Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
177 Posts
FWIW, 2014 was the year that VW spruced up the Komfort trim. Starting at that point, it came with the RNS 315 standard and it has 8 speakers (at least mine does.). The front doors have two each - a tweeter in the rear view mirror triangle and what sounds like a midrange/woofer at the bottom of the door. The middle speaker is not there, although the grill is. The rear panels have what sounds like a tweeter in the top grill and a midrange/woofer in the bottom grill. For the record, I used my stethoscope to listen at each location to confirm a working speaker. Way back, I had my door cards off to upgrade the door warning lights, and I remember looking at thone bottom door speakers, but I can’t remember what their configuration was.

The 2015 and 2016 Komforts were carbon copies of the 2014, so I suspect they too had 8 speakers. Oh, and the Executive and the Final Edition were available in 2015, but I’d bet the production of those trims ended earlier, so they may not have been available when the OP bought his.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FWIW, 2014 was the year that VW spruced up the Komfort trim. Starting at that point, it came with the RNS 315 standard and it has 8 speakers (at least mine does.). The front doors have two each - a tweeter in the rear view mirror triangle and what sounds like a midrange/woofer at the bottom of the door. The middle speaker is not there, although the grill is. The rear panels have what sounds like a tweeter in the top grill and a midrange/woofer in the bottom grill. For the record, I used my stethoscope to listen at each location to confirm a working speaker. Way back, I had my door cards off to upgrade the door warning lights, and I remember looking at thone bottom door speakers, but I can’t remember what their configuration was.

The 2015 and 2016 Komforts were carbon copies of the 2014, so I suspect they too had 8 speakers. Oh, and the Executive and the Final Edition were available in 2015, but I’d bet the production of those trims ended earlier, so they may not have been available when the OP bought his.
I had upgraded the radio to the RNS 510 used in the executive trim as I wanted traffic integration with my GPS as well as HD Radio. Adding the two midrange speakers (making it ten speakers) in the door boosted the sound very nicely.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts