Volkswagen Eos Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While the RCD330/360 is a nice upgrade from stock, the units output power is low and and the feature set is extremely limited. I originally wanted to go the route of using a Pioneer but due to Covid, even car audio equipment has been in short supply and what was available has been marked up quite a bit. With inventories returning to normal I was able to pick up everything I needed to upgrade to the Pioneer.

I chose the Pioneer DMH-1500NEX due to its excellent Mosfet power supply, time alignment and DSP capabilities. This is coupled to a Idatalink Maestro RR and VW-1 wiring harness. The Maestro RR provides a programmable interface for your steering wheel controls and interfaces with your ODBII port to display information about your vehicle on the Pioneers display. I opted for a Metra installation kit in gloss black that matches the gloss black bezel of the Pioneer. One thing to note, Crutchfield lists an antenna adapter for the EOS that is incorrect, even if you have the correct vehicle selected. I found another Metra antenna adapter (with dual farkas) but even that one isn't really correct for the EOS, although with some small modifications, its working just fine.

I needed to run RCA cables to the Blaupunkt sub along with a video cable for a backup camera and a 12 volt turn on lead for the Blaupunkt as well.

Have YouTube videos of the equipment unboxing and installation, which I will post here. Have a few more videos that need to be processed and will update this post once they have been uploaded.

One last thing to note, it seems most all aftermarket head units have issues with glare, especially with the top down, the problem was bad with the RCD360 but its really bad with the Pioneer. Investigating anti-glare options now and will report back if I come up with anything.

Attachments

·
Life is good... so far
1,108 Posts
The car treats the Pioneer as the original radio, CANBUS and all?

·
Registered
2008 Volkswagen VR6 Eos
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car treats the Pioneer as the original radio, CANBUS and all?
If your asking if it can be seen via VCDS, then the answer is no. VCDS will give you a radio error or radio not present.

The diagnostic and gauge display data is pulled via the ODBII port that is part of the Idatalink Maestro RR

1 - 3 of 3 Posts