Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had issues with the vinyl at the top of their door panels try to peel away? When I bought my 08 earlier this year I noticed a slight bit of this towards the back of the door along the edge by the window. It was peeling up slightly but now it's getting more noticeable. It's occurring on each side too. I 'll take some photos this evening but I' m curious if anyone else has seen this. I don't think it will be difficult to glue it back down but actually getting it to stay put while I let adhesive dry is the biggest gotcha.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Has anyone had issues with the vinyl at the top of their door panels try to peel away? When I bought my 08 earlier this year I noticed a slight bit of this towards the back of the door along the edge by the window. It was peeling up slightly but now it's getting more noticeable. It's occurring on each side too. I 'll take some photos this evening but I' m curious if anyone else has seen this. I don't think it will be difficult to glue it back down but actually getting it to stay put while I let adhesive dry is the biggest gotcha.
I have not had this problem with my Eos but have with cars of the past.

What works best is Super Glue. Use a small amount just inside the loose edge. When you press down on the vinyl, the glue will tend to squeeze out toward the outside, which is what you want.

If you do it right, your finger will not get stuck.:) I have done this many times and sometimes I get it on my fingers and sometimes not, however it fixes the problem permanently.

You may have to push down on the edges 2 or 3 times before the glue begins to bond but you will not have to clamp it or figure out how to hold it until it sets. Just keep pushing until it finally stays.

Trust me, this definitely works. All other glues will make a mess and will eventually begin to fail.

I have even used this method to repair tears in vinyl and leather upholstery.

Remember, use a very small amount along the near edge and make sure the glue seep out a tiny bit on the outer edge.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks David, this is where I was leaning as well (superglue) as something that would hold without needing to be "set" for a long time. I never did take any photos of it but I will today.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Superglue worked just fine. Not perfect but good enough unless you're looking for it. :)
Hi Tom. Good to hear. Definitely not perfect but sure beats having to tear off the door interior and spending big bucks to replace the entire thing.

The fix will last as long as your car does. Can't ask for anything more.

Super Glue, one of the true wonders of the world. :) What did we do before it's invention?:D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1 Posts
...sure beats having to tear off the door interior and spending big bucks to replace the entire thing.

The fix will last as long as your car does.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone know where a person might be able to get a replacement top door panel? What kind of big bucks are we talking?

Mine is peeling too- fixed with superglue, then it shrank some more, I fixed it, it shrank, and now it just looks terrible.

I live in a surprisingly EOS prevalent neighborhood and I'm not the only one experiencing this.

It appears to be quite common...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have problems with the vinyl peeling on both of my door panels. I have a 2009 EOS. The first panel started peeling in the spring of 2015. The second was coming apart by summer.

The dealership said I could buy new door panels for $900 each. The upholsterer said he'd charge $150 each panel, but he's not been able to get an exact match to the vinyl in this car. He's tried several companies and says it's not out there yet.

He has told me that since I brought my car in this summer, he's seen several others come in with the same problem.

At his point, I've gone from loving this car and wanting to replace it with a new one to thinking I'm not going to by a VW again.

VW should do something to fix the problem.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
There are others who posted about this problem so try searching Forum. I think the thin VW vinyl is shrink formed in a factory process and I suspect an upholsterer with the usual fabric backed glue on vinyl would not achieve the same neat contours.

Where this problem has occured before it can be linked to water getting inside the cabin being left closed up with high humidity. Do you get condensation on the inside of windows and the rear screen first thing in the morning - I don't ? Do you get any water leaking inside from poor seal contact at the top of the front door glasses? Have you tried leaving a cheap electronic humidity meter inside the car to measure the maximum and minimum humidity levels? If readings are hitting 80% and over you have water or moister trapped in the car. This moisture could have built up during Winter months ready to come out in warmer weather.

Some ideas came forward in the last discussion I read once the interior is thoroughly dried out of all moisture. A hair dryer used carefully may contract the vinyl or bubbles back to form. If vinyl is bad on the door cards then the card itself would have to be thoroghly dried out to get rid of any trapped moisture before trying to shrink the vinyl back. Door cards can be a problem if the long wiping blade seals on the door glasses don't make contact with the glass and water gets inside the door cavities.

·
Super Moderator
2,238 Posts
A quick question - is there any connection between the proportion of top-down driving and the incidence of delamination? My feeling is the problem may be due to UV degradation and not the adhesion of the vinyl to the substrate - it would be interesting to compare the incidence of the problem in Eos vehicles with other enclosed vehicles in the VW range.

The history of UV degradation of plastic and vinyl products sent to Australia from the Northern Hemisphere is a long and sad story especially as far as motor vehicles are concerned and it took a long while for the message to get through that the problem was loss of plasticiser due to heat and UV radiation - this problem having been overcome by Australian car manufacturers in earlier years reportedly by a female engineer employed by General Motors Holden [the Australian GM subsidiary].

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
You could be on to something. We need more info about member localities where this problem occurs.

Perhaps I should be using my factor 50 sun tan lotion on the vinyl as well as roof seals. Unfortunately, we don't get much strong sun in UK/Northern hemisphere.:(

When I had my door cards off I looked at edges of the vinyl cover behind the card. I couldn't see much evidence of a layer of glue, suggesting adhesive is either very thin or impregnated into the base material. I have some bedroom furniture with a vinyl covering over mdf molded panels. The vinyl has come right away and you can push it in with your fingers. I was told the vinyl is laid over the sheet board as a 'wrap' then passed through an infra red oven on a moving conveyor.

I think the furniture problem is caused be the mdf material backing not being sealed, absorbing moisture releasing vapors and gases, then causing the vinyl layer to delaminate. Effective adhesives will be hard to find. Vinyls can be plastic welded to other plastics, but here we have vinyls over fiber board. Contact adhesive isn't a proper bonding glue but would work for a time. The vinyl VW use is not the floppy material used for upholstery but seems to be a much stiffer thin formed coating.

·
Katie's VW
1 Posts
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. The vinyl on my 2008 VW EOS started peeling on both doors about 5 years ago and it was only gotten worse. I've tried to repair it with super glue with little success. I live in a hot humid climate and often drive with the top down. I think water coming in when exiting or entering the vehicle in the rain has also contributed to the problem. I'll keep checking back for more ideas and updates.

·
L as in LAnMarc
188 Posts
I noticed this on our passenger door vinyl earlier this year.
It was strip about 8 inches long and 2-3 inches deep at the rear end of the door/window sill.
Adelaide has a hot dry climate at this time of year so water/humidity is (probably) not the cause.

4 weeks ago I removed the door card and attempted to fix the problem with contact adhesive.
It didn't work!
The hot weather softened the adhesive and, due to the elasticity of the stretched vinyl, the vinyl peeled back after 2 days.

Over the weekend, I tried it a second time, this time using Araldite.
The door card was placed in the sun for a few minutes to heat up the vinyl so that it would be easier to stretch.
I then applied some adhesive under the edge of the door card on a 2 inch section, stretched the vinyl so that about a half inch strip of vinyl could be folded under the edge of the card, and then clamped that section.
After about 10 minutes, it was back in the sun for the next 2 inch section.

Really needed 4 hands to stretch the vinyl, fold it under, and clamp the vinyl while adding some cloth to protect the vinyl.

Will see how it holds out over the next few days/weeks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My passenger side door had peeled vinyl at the top next to the window when i looked at the car. The dealer said his interior guy would come by, inject it will h clue and roll it.

It looks good, but i noticed the other day that several spots have bubbled up around nd the repaiered area.

Someday, wh n it starts looking really bad ill probably just rip it off both sides a d replace the vinyl with tacky contact paper. The kind you use to line kitchen shelves. Lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
2008 EOS here. Add me to the list of owners experiencing the vinyl "shrink"/peeling back off top interior door trim.

I already asked the dealer about it and got an insanely high quote to "replace both doors" (!), not sure if he meant just the trim or the whole door!) So I wanted to check and see if anyone's had success taking it to a body shop for repair?

Do we know whether the "top portion" (not sure how to describe it) of the door trim is removable/replaceable on its own, or if it requires the full door trim to be replaced? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
They are talking about the 'door card' which hooks on to the inner steel of the door frame held around the outside with plastic 'poppers'. It has all the switches and speaker attached to it. It's basically some kind of hardboard (cardboard!) with the vinyl put over it in a process. The top section of the door card has a molding which is glued to the card with poor glue and comes unstuck. :( Since it is factory glued, I would assume it all comes as one piece with the door card oredred in your trim color.

I think you are all getting the vinyl problem because of water getting past the long wiper blade seals on the door glasses or leaks into the cabin or water leaking past the roof to glass seal. These leaks will raise humidity inside and the (cardboard) layer behind the vinyl will absorb the moisture expand and break down their adhesive. My dry 2007 has non of this problem. If your rear window glass is frequently fogged up first thing in the morning you need to de-humidify fast and find out how water is getting in.

Hose over the front windows for 3 or 4 minutes then open the doors. If a gallon of water runs out of the bottom door drain, your rubber wiper seal on the outside is ineffective and water is running inside the door skin. :eek:

On most decent cars there is a plastic sheet liner over the inside metal door skin frame sealing off all the holes. It's purpose is to act as a damp barrier to any moisture getting inside the hollow door skin. I don't see that on my EOS. But you can do it with some 1200gm sheet polythene and double sided carpet tape.

A few things to chew on!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hose over the front windows for 3 or 4 minutes then open the doors. If a gallon of water runs out of the bottom door drain, your rubber wiper seal on the outside is ineffective and water is running inside the door skin. :eek:
No need for me to do this test... there *always* seems to be lots of water gushing out of the door drain after an overnight rain and we open the doors the following morning. I just assumed it was working as intended since there hasn't been water actually inside the car (that I've been able to see) .. I can't recall foggy windows indicating excessive humidity but I'll have to see if my wife remembers anything like that when she's driven it. I don't doubt it's an issue of moisture combined with manufacturing process... just wish the parts were more easily / affordably replaced!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I think it is also sun/uv radiation related. It seems that in australia this problem is acting up more as in europe. The door panel construction might be good for a plain car, but less for a cabrio, where the sun has much more impact.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
... there *always* seems to be lots of water gushing out of the door drain after an overnight rain and we open the doors the following morning.
There is a misconception that whenever VW provide an exit point for water which we commonly refer to as a 'drain', that water must always be running through it. :confused: That is a wrong assumption. Water running out of most EOS 'drain' holes is an indication of seal failure and the drain is the route of last resort. This also applies to the roof front and rear 'drains'. Your long wiper blade seal on the outside of the glass is ineffective - Test for contact all the way along with thin paper.

Sun and U.V could be relevant. But water inside the door cavity followed by hot sun will produce humid moist air trapped behind the door card.

The EOS door skins are constructed like every other car. The inner and outer steel panels are pressed and spot welded around the sides. Allowing water into the door cavities will eventually cause door rot at the bottom. EOS window regulators use plated wire not stainless steel. It will rust through very quickly, the windows can jam part way open and the roof operation will be stopped. :mad: Newer EOS's or those that have had their window regulator motors replaced have a new style motor now with its connector sitting upwards and a great way to allow water inside!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vinyl at top of door panel help needed

I just bought a 2009 EOS and both door panels have vinyl that has curled away from panel. There is not enough vinyl to glue, either cut or shrunk. Has anyone tried using carbon fiber to cover the gap? Any suggestions are welcome, just don't want to buy new door panels! Love the car! Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,238 Posts
I noticed this on our passenger door vinyl earlier this year.
It was strip about 8 inches long and 2-3 inches deep at the rear end of the door/window sill.
Adelaide has a hot dry climate at this time of year so water/humidity is (probably) not the cause.

4 weeks ago I removed the door card and attempted to fix the problem with contact adhesive.
It didn't work!
The hot weather softened the adhesive and, due to the elasticity of the stretched vinyl, the vinyl peeled back after 2 days.

Over the weekend, I tried it a second time, this time using Araldite.
The door card was placed in the sun for a few minutes to heat up the vinyl so that it would be easier to stretch.
I then applied some adhesive under the edge of the door card on a 2 inch section, stretched the vinyl so that about a half inch strip of vinyl could be folded under the edge of the card, and then clamped that section.
After about 10 minutes, it was back in the sun for the next 2 inch section.

Really needed 4 hands to stretch the vinyl, fold it under, and clamp the vinyl while adding some cloth to protect the vinyl.

Will see how it holds out over the next few days/weeks.

Can you please provide an update on how successful your repair has been.

The dreaded lifting has started on my partner's Eos and I am now starting to search for a resolution :mad:.

Does anyone know if other VW models post 2007 also have this problem :confused:?

Thanks for any information - hopefully someone may have found a solution.

silvershadow

1 - 20 of 29 Posts