Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you please provide an update on how successful your repair has been.

The dreaded lifting has started on my partner's Eos and I am now starting to search for a resolution :mad:.

Does anyone know if other VW models post 2007 also have this problem :confused:?

Thanks for any information - hopefully someone may have found a solution.

silvershadow

I had a look at 2 cars today both 2007 models and they had the same issues. I live in sydney by the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,253 Posts
SWMBO has booked her Eos with the Newcastle VW dealer to get the problem fixed - I have told her to demand "ex-gratia" warranty as it is an inherent known fault arising from faulty manufacturing when the vehicle was assembled.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have same front panel problem with peeling also in back panel arm rest material puffing up. Went to an auto interior professional. He stated since 2000 VW went cheep with materials and are almost impossible fix. Made only to have a 10 year life span I'm trying different products to see what will work, the fiber board material that is the base is the whole problem it flakes and will not hold I have some airplane mechanic friends and will see if they have any suggestions. Airplane interiors are as bad as VW.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
You would need to do some tests but with problems like yours the base 'core' or 'former' for the covering is more important to recover because vinyl and fabric covers are more easily available?

Starting with a thoroughly dry base core, I would think about trying a glass fiber resin with 6-7% catalyst, thinned 10% with acetone then brushed on quickly to stabilize the OE base. After curing, use filler to smooth over any surface damage and restore the original profile? :confused: Once the resin absorbs and cures in the base, it will survive water and last a very long time. :)

This solution should work well on water damaged door cards. If parts have swollen, brush with catalized resin, clamp between polythene sheet using plywood and drywall screws then leave to cure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
SWMBO has booked her Eos with the Newcastle VW dealer to get the problem fixed - I have told her to demand "ex-gratia" warranty as it is an inherent known fault arising from faulty manufacturing when the vehicle was assembled.
This reply caught my attention. I’ve been regretfully experiencing vinyl peel back on my 09’s driver’s side door for the last several years. I had a friend attempt to fix it (worked for about 18 months then it started peeling away again. Is this “ex-gratia” warranty a thing throughout the VW dealer service ecosystem? I’m in the US & it’s pretty clear to me from reading this thread that this peeling is a prevalent issue. I’d like to get it repaired without having to replace the whole door.

·
Super Moderator
2,253 Posts
This reply caught my attention. I’ve been regretfully experiencing vinyl peel back on my 09’s driver’s side door for the last several years. I had a friend attempt to fix it (worked for about 18 months then it started peeling away again. Is this “ex-gratia” warranty a thing throughout the VW dealer service ecosystem? I’m in the US & it’s pretty clear to me from reading this thread that this peeling is a prevalent issue. I’d like to get it repaired without having to replace the whole door.

I gave up in disgust as our service dealer could not get VW to "come to the party" with a customer goodwill contribution to the replacement :mad:

"Ex-gratia" warranty is something that has to be negotiated by the dealer on your behalf or by your country's consumer protection authority unless there are cost limits on their jurisdiction.

In our case, the door interior skin and inside panel were replaced in their entirety - so far, the problem has not reoccurred. The unusual aspect is the left hand door panel is still like new after 10 years of ownership from new.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed this on our passenger door vinyl earlier this year.
It was strip about 8 inches long and 2-3 inches deep at the rear end of the door/window sill.
Adelaide has a hot dry climate at this time of year so water/humidity is (probably) not the cause.

4 weeks ago I removed the door card and attempted to fix the problem with contact adhesive.
It didn't work!
The hot weather softened the adhesive and, due to the elasticity of the stretched vinyl, the vinyl peeled back after 2 days.

Over the weekend, I tried it a second time, this time using Araldite.
The door card was placed in the sun for a few minutes to heat up the vinyl so that it would be easier to stretch.
I then applied some adhesive under the edge of the door card on a 2 inch section, stretched the vinyl so that about a half inch strip of vinyl could be folded under the edge of the card, and then clamped that section.
After about 10 minutes, it was back in the sun for the next 2 inch section.

Really needed 4 hands to stretch the vinyl, fold it under, and clamp the vinyl while adding some cloth to protect the vinyl.

Will see how it holds out over the next few days/weeks.
Just got a 08 knowing this was an issue. Did your fix work?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Superglue worked just fine. Not perfect but good enough unless you're looking for it. :)
Thanks for sharing the information. My 09 EOS vinyl has separated from the door card at the top and on both doors. Any specific Brand of SuperGlue? Appreciate any help. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I'm afraid this annoying problem will get more common as EOSs get older. It starts with a basically bad design. The vinyl is factory (heat?) shrunk around high density foam core which forms the top capping. The vinyl they use has an adhesive backing. The problem is where it runs along the inner side closest to the glass, they only wrapped it around the edge of the core a few millimeters. That area is where condensation from the window glass collect, hits the long edge of the vinyl and wicks up between it and the core. In hot weather, sun along the top of the capping warms up the vinyl layer and trapped moisture producing vapor and causing it to bubble and loosen away from the adhesive. Because it was heat shrunk over the core initially, as soon as the adhesive weakens it pulls up under tension away from the edge. If they had been more generous with the wrap around - say 15-20mm, this should have held it.

You can buy similar grained vinyl. Mine is black trimmed for a cornsilk beige door card. The top section with the black grained vinyl is a separate part of the door card. However, there are a million black plastic welded rivet pegs holding it together and each peg is underneath the second color on the main part of the card. So it isn't so easy to separate the two parts leaving the lower part vinyl undamaged. But if the alternative was an expensive replacement door card I think it could be worth a try working carefully around the plastic rivets with a digital temperature controlled iron and re-using them? You would then have just the 2 smaller long door cappings to send off to the auto vinyl repair shop, requesting at least 20mm wrap around along the edges. I've used a soldering workstation before to re-form and re-use plastic rivets. It's just a matter of getting the right temperature. You melt around the edges pushing the plastic towards the center which releases them. You can always match the plastic with a filler rod to create a new 'mushroom' after clamping the parts together. The rivets will be a standard metric diameter and having some thin walled tube the same ID would help achieve the correct diameter allowing the parts to be separated

I think if the mood takes me that's what I might try when mine gets worse. Until then I've run a black Sharpie along the gap to make it less visible.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts