Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just undertaken my winter Eos Krytox application and used Voxmagna's "Super Props" for the first time - made the task much easier especially from the accessibility benefits arising from their use. Also installed some 3mm PVC tube through the "A" pillar seal RHS/LHS cut-outs to see if this will stop a small drip problem when driving in rain - if successful, I will post details later.

Only seals I couldn't access easily were the rear quarter light outer "wiper" seals that were covered by the open body trim flaps and this is easily rectified once the props are removed and the roof closed. The props are easy to install and remove; just stop the opening process as soon as the roof has passed over top-dead centre and it will slowly sink to the open position allowing sufficient time to position both props to engage the roof arms as shown in Vox's photo. Prop removal is even easier, just gently push the roof back to release the props and remove them, let the roof come to rest before using the roof switch to finish opening the roof or closing it as needed.

For details, just use "Super Props" as the search term and there will be a link to a post containing a photo of the location and dimensions of the props. I used a length of 42mm square dressed pine instead of Vox's 40mm diameter round without any problems.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
If you ever need to replace the rear heated screen DIY like I did (condensation corroded tracks), they help a lot. :)
Also installed some 3mm PVC tube through the "A" pillar seal RHS/LHS cut-outs to see if this will stop a small drip problem when driving in rain - if successful, I will post details later.
I've now done this for all the seals around the sunroof along their full length. I wrote it up under my condensation fixes. I've used 2 sizes of silicone milk hose both with the thinner 1mm wall - from memory 6mm & 7mm OD. I pulled them through all the long seals after lubricating with washing liquid. I experimented with tube diameters and thickness to get the best but not excessive 'spring' and seal shape recovery, without increasing the sunroof motor load too much, which is highest when the glass is pulled down into the seals.

Now all my most important roof seals have silicone tube inner linings which is keeping them in shape. :) Obviously not an approved V.W EOS modification!

·
Super Moderator
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Vox,

Touch wood!!

So far the leak problem has been minuscule drops from the top of the LHS and RHS A pillars when driving at highway speed in rain. The cutouts in the seal have "flattened" despite the regular Krytox applications and 3mm tube was sufficient to restore the cut-out to normal height [note these are the upgraded seals fitted to MY09 and later models].

Interesting observation for me was the "fish tanks" and spare tyre wells were pristine "factory new" in appearance with no evidence whatsoever of water leaks or dust penetration. The seals still look and feel like they are "brand-new" after nearly 12 years in our harsh climate thanks to regular 6 monthly Krytox GPL105 treatments [I apply the Krytox using my index finger and thumb in very limited smears and then "massage" it into the seal - I am halfway through my third 50ml container of Krytox and still have the last container from my original purchase untouched]. Suffice to say this method virtually eliminates the glass smears from having too much liquid on the surface of the seals, the massaging ensures the entire seal is lubricated and they still look and feel like brand-new seals.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
MY07 had new vehicle warranty seal work done years ago when the Stealer had my (new to me) EOS in their workshop for 5 weeks. I don't know if it has new or old seals or what the difference is. but I do know there's a lot of clever manual seal bonding and joining in place, particularly at the confluence of seals. EOS seal replacement isn't just 'buy the part and fit it'.

Leaks into the fish tanks are strange. I think it depends on the slope and direction of the parked car when it rains and whether owners garage or leave outside 24/7 like I do? The sunroof sits inside the seals most of the time, unless the roof is open, they then take on the 'set'. When you look carefully at the sunroof frame you can see its edges are angled to achieve the contact sealing as it is closed down. I run around those frame edges with Krytox too and also put some on the metal blade that separates the side seals as it moves.

·
Super Moderator
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vox,

My partner's Eos is pampered like you would not believe and certainly to a higher level than your humble scribe could ever expect to receive :unsure::unsure: .

I am certainly fixated in my opinion that regular Krytoxing of all seals and synthetic items exposed to light and ozone is essential for ensuring their longevity and fitness for purpose. As I have said previously, all seals and synthetic items treated with Krytox look and feel like brand new seals after 12 years of ownership. The only defect so far has been the observed "flattening" of the two cut-outs ["notches"] in the transverse "A" pillar main seal adjacent to the roof drain connection with the roof side frames. I am reasonably confident packing the internal void of this seal with the PVC tube will eliminate the observed water leakage however time will tell whether this assumption is correct or misguided.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
I am reasonably confident packing the internal void of this seal with the PVC tube will eliminate the observed water leakage however time will tell whether this assumption is correct or misguided.
When I decided to add silicone tube as inserts to my seals I had to have both ends of the (long) seals open. One end may already be showing open but V.W insert a 20mm long black foam plug in the other end, sealed with a bit of goo. When you first look at the seal you think one end is solid when it's just the look of their plug. The other curious thing going to this place where others haven't gone, is the inside of the roof seals are generously coated with French chalk.

Do you think your foam plug could have been lost?

·
Super Moderator
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vox,

Probably not as the volume of the leaks is very small but will check next time I do the seals.

BTW, I remember many years ago that French Chalk and Talc were used as a lubricant when extruding polymer seals and hollow sections when I was a Product Metallurgist for Alloy, Stainless and Tool Steels - polymer extrusion dies were a significant application for tool steel alloys.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Thanks. I know French chalk is used with natural rubber, but I couldn't understand why it should be used with this synthetic compound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts