Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received a letter today from VW stating that they will compensate for water pump related repairs. I have replaced my EOS water pump and thermostat due to coolant leakage. Looks like I will be reimbursed for that.

A class action settlement, known as Coffeng, et al. v. Volkswagen Group of America, Inc., Civil Action No. 3:17-cv-01825-JD was granted preliminary approval by the United States District Court for the Northern District of California on August 29, 2019. The Settlement resolves a lawsuit related to the primary engine water pump in certain Volkswagen and Audi vehicles, listed below, purchased or leased in the United States and Puerto Rico.

The court will hold a hearing on March 26, 2020 to determine whether to grant final approval of the Settlement. This website contains information about the lawsuit, the Settlement, its terms and available benefits, your legal rights, important dates and deadlines including deadlines and procedures for submitting a claim for reimbursement and filing any objections to or requests for exclusion from the Settlement, frequently asked questions, pertinent documents including the Settlement Agreement, the Class Notices, Claim Forms, certain motions and orders relating to the Settlement, and other important information.

You are included in the Engine Water Pump Settlement if you are a person or entity who purchased or leased a Settlement Class Vehicle. The Settlement Class Vehicles are certain of the following model and model year Volkswagen and Audi vehicles, equipped with a 2.0 liter EA888 engine and a factory installed primary engine water pump, whose Vehicle Identification Numbers (VINs) are included in the VIN lookup database. You can access the VIN lookup database by clicking below to see if your vehicle is included in the Settlement:

https://www.enginewaterpumpsettlement.com/CheckVIN

*Subject to confirmation that your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is covered by the Settlement and that your vehicle is one of the Settlement Class Vehicles. To check if your VIN is covered by the Settlement click here.

For more information:

https://www.enginewaterpumpsettlement.com/

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Curious. MY07 UK VIN isn't accepted (not surprising). Anyway, I replaced my water pump at the last timing belt change (Circa 60k) and since the pump was aftermarket I don't think V.W would be interested!

It begs the question though for those with older vehicles that may have had the pump replaced. What's the pump issue and could a genuine V.W replacement pump be bad also? :confused:

·
Life is good... so far
1,093 Posts
Seems to be only the engines with a timing chain. Timing chain flex problem? Lots of articles. Many repeat failures. Changed my pump with the belt at 110,000 miles. Never a problem.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
I have a belt too, same with me. :) I tore the old pump apart at 60K and couldn't find anything wrong. Bearings o.k and still smooth with no seal leak. Same with the belt roller bearing. It was like I was replacing new with new. Still, it's peace of mind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
From Cleveland OHIO, Greetings to All,

quick question, I received the letter yesterday. Do I need to present it to the dealership parts to be replaced it?

Just received a letter today from VW stating that they will compensate for water pump related repairs. I have replaced my EOS water pump and thermostat due to coolant leakage. Looks like I will be reimbursed for that.

A class action settlement, known as Coffeng, et al. v. Volkswagen Group of America, Inc., Civil Action No. 3:17-cv-01825-JD was granted preliminary approval by the United States District Court for the Northern District of California on August 29, 2019. The Settlement resolves a lawsuit related to the primary engine water pump in certain Volkswagen and Audi vehicles, listed below, purchased or leased in the United States and Puerto Rico.

The court will hold a hearing on March 26, 2020 to determine whether to grant final approval of the Settlement. This website contains information about the lawsuit, the Settlement, its terms and available benefits, your legal rights, important dates and deadlines including deadlines and procedures for submitting a claim for reimbursement and filing any objections to or requests for exclusion from the Settlement, frequently asked questions, pertinent documents including the Settlement Agreement, the Class Notices, Claim Forms, certain motions and orders relating to the Settlement, and other important information.

You are included in the Engine Water Pump Settlement if you are a person or entity who purchased or leased a Settlement Class Vehicle. The Settlement Class Vehicles are certain of the following model and model year Volkswagen and Audi vehicles, equipped with a 2.0 liter EA888 engine and a factory installed primary engine water pump, whose Vehicle Identification Numbers (VINs) are included in the VIN lookup database. You can access the VIN lookup database by clicking below to see if your vehicle is included in the Settlement:

https://www.enginewaterpumpsettlement.com/CheckVIN

*Subject to confirmation that your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is covered by the Settlement and that your vehicle is one of the Settlement Class Vehicles. To check if your VIN is covered by the Settlement click here.

For more information:

https://www.enginewaterpumpsettlement.com/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings,
I received the letter yesterday. What I should do? Can I go to the Audi dealership to be replaced, or wait until the settlement date?

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Seems to be only the engines with a timing chain. Timing chain flex problem? Lots of articles. Many repeat failures. Changed my pump with the belt at 110,000 miles. Never a problem.
Yes, EA888 engines use timing chains whereas we have a soft rubber timing belt not transmitting significant harmonic vibration (or hydraulic tensioner issues!) which could be passed to anything driven by it. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I read the letter- looks like it does nothing for me. My car 10.5 years old, with 90K miles.

I still have the original water pump, so there’s no reimbursement there.
The settlement extends the warranty for the original pump to 10 years/100K miles, whichever comes first. There is a declining coverage percentage as it gets older- but I miss out, as the last entry in the chart is 5% for cars 10 years old. Missed even that!

Can’t complain though- I got $1,000 back of the $1,100 I spent to proactively change my timing chain tensioner a couple of years ago, so I’m ok!

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Can’t complain though- I got $1,000 back of the $1,100 I spent to proactively change my timing chain tensioner a couple of years ago, so I’m ok!
Good to hear. But if the water pump has a design problem which your proactive repair didn't fix, the end result could be the same. But is the water pump (bearing/seal) failure caused by the tensioner not keeping the timing chain tight in the first place? :confused:

Any chain moving across sprockets will induce vibration through shafts, bearings and seals, but I would expect these to be higher frequency small amplitude and less likely to cause damage. However, once a heavy double or triple chain runs with slack, it becomes like an elastic band impact driver producing vibration with much higher amplitude at lower frequencies. If these combine with impulsive input from the camshaft and detonation they could become more problematic.:eek:

·
Registered
122 Posts
But at least a failed water pump won’t grenade an interference engine the way a timing chain jumping a sprocket or two would!

I will pay attention to the pump, now, though! Until I got the recent letter, I had no idea they were any more prone to failure than any other part...

Vox, , I want to also take this opportunity to thank you for being such an active forum participant for all these years. You have posted an incredible amount of useful information over the years...!

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
But at least a failed water pump won’t grenade an interference engine the way a timing chain jumping a sprocket or two would!
Not true, it WILL grenade which is why replacing the pump with a belt/(chain?) and bearing kit at around 60k is very important if your engine has the water pump in its timing drive loop.

I'm not familiar with all the engine variants as MY07 EOS is the Tdi. The water pump manufacturers make them the way they always did with small shafts, bearings and the usual lipped or graphite seal. That was ok when the water pump was driven off its own belt in the crank and alternator loop. If a water pump seal started to leak, the bearing would fail as coolant washed through the grease, the shaft would wobble about and the worst that could happen is loud noises followed by loss of belt, water pump and alternator with ignition light on.

But now they want to build engines smaller and save space so they put the water pump in the timing belt (or chain?) drive loop keeping the same wimpy shaft bearing and seal design. The water pump seal usually fails first, leaking coolant into its bearing causing the bearing to fail and produce excess travel and end play in the pump shaft, getting worse when the bearing cage breaks up and balls start falling out. The spring or hydraulic chain tensioner will try to compensate the loose belt or chain putting even more stress on the failing water pump bearing until its failure is so dramatic the belt or chain jumps teeth at speed and valves hit pistons.:eek::eek: If you are very lucky the first warning sign would be a coolant leak or noise, but on a long trip you might not spot this.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Engine Water Pump Settlement - Check VIN

For more information:

Engine Water Pump Settlement - Home
Water pump just went out on me and got an estimate for $1418 - My VIN was a match - unfortunately, my psychic skills failed me and I missed the deadline. Stupid Amazon crystal ball....

If anyone knows of follow up settlements for vehicles with repairs after the deadline, that would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Water pump just went out on me and got an estimate for $1418
If your car has a regular service history at genuine V.W dealers, try and negotiate some 'Goodwill' to pay part of the cost? On my Tdi a replacement aftermarket water pump part is only around £50 and would be replaced at the same time as the timing belt, bearings and tensioner. Most of the labor charge is getting access to the pump and I would have the timing chain/belt and tensioners checked or replaced at the same time.

Get a second quote from an independent who is familiar with V.W and Audi cars. By the time you pursue the legal route, you will have missed a Summer season to enjoy your car.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Might be worth shopping around. When I proactively did the timing chain tensioner in fall of 2017, my dealer quoted $1700. I found a highly-regarded independent VW shop that did it for $1100.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts