Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed this annoying issue for a while now. After heavy rain, I open the trunk lid and when fully raised, a lot of water runs off and gets dumped on the trunk floor where the location part is for the inside cover.

It puzzled me because I first thought it was water trapped by the trunk seal but now I know different. It appears as though the rear lamp cluster in the trunk lid has a large channel/space surrounding it and at such angles that water running over the trunk lid gets trapped and stays there when parked until the trunk lid is opened, then pours out from the lower right and left corners of each lamp unit into the trunk. My EOS is driveway parked with a slight upwards slope towards the front.

I've not measured the water volume, but it is far more than a few drips. Some here have had problems with water entering the rear light units and an expensive repair. Looking at what I can easily see without removing the lamp unit, the water held in the surrounding space could be over the level of the glue seam fixing the red lens assemblies.

Does anybody else find after parking in rain and opening their trunk they too get a load of water dumped inside?

·
Registered
348 Posts
It's not going to help your problem, but yes, mine does it to. A bunch of water likes to come out of the taillight area on the trunk lid. I now know to open it slowly after getting the car washed. :- p

·
Super Moderator
2,361 Posts
My partner's MY09 had a similar problem when first delivered and it was subsequently fixed under warranty.

The cause was an irregular bead of flexible sealant around the rear light cluster assembly most likely caused by air bubbles in the sealant delivery system to the robotic arm that applied the sealant during assembly.

The fix involved removing the light clusters, removing the original sealant and replacing it with external "roof and gutter" silicone sealant. This was left to cure overnight before water testing the following day.

There has been no leakage problems since.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cause was an irregular bead of flexible sealant around the rear light cluster assembly most likely caused by air bubbles in the sealant delivery system to the robotic arm that applied the sealant during assembly.

The fix involved removing the light clusters, removing the original sealant and replacing it with external "roof and gutter" silicone sealant. This was left to cure overnight before water testing the following day.

There has been no leakage problems since.
Great answer and the direction I was leaning towards. The 'irregular bead' might be something that allows water to back up in the gap between the plastic housing and trunk lid, stopping it from draining away when the lid is closed. I only get this problem on the right side, so your answer stacks up. I have also discovered that opening the lid part way drains the water away, but it shouldn't really be left to build up in the first place.

Now I know I have a dry weather Summer job to do when silicone will stick and cure nicely! I like silicone sealant and always keep some black handy, it seems to do a better job than the rubber/latex compound VW use (?).

Another point about my question was trying to understand why many vag owners have complained of expensive rear led lamp units getting water inside and a secondary issue of water over the roof pump motor. Removing the rear lamp units will also allow me to have a good look at how they are sealed to the body.

Thanks - Vox

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a built in design feature on MY07!

O.k I've now had some time to look further into this but I'm stopping short of removing the lamp assembly from the trunk lid. Sorry silvershadow but I don't think the problem is assembly, it's the design!

At the moment I am flawed to suggest a fix. The test you can all do is fill a saucepan of water, run it over the trunk lid so water flows in a stream over the lamp units, then open the trunk lid. I've also used a turkey baster squirting water around the lamp units.

The rear light units are recessed into the trunk lid and body panels. This sets the surface of the lamps level with the body surface for good appearance, but the gap they allow around the top, side and bottom allows water running off the trunk lid to enter.

At the bottom of the lamp unit aperture they have deliberately designed a 'reservoir' where the outer and inner trunk panels come together. This channel is lower towards the center of the car and the exit drain slot at the bottom outside for each lamp aperture is higher (stupid). If your EOS is parked on the slightest camber, water will run off the roof, across the trunk lid, over the lamp units and well up to the level of their drain slot. Only when you open the trunk lid or drive the car can you get the water out and there can be a lot of water pouring over your clothes, laptop etc.

The whole design needs a face lift and I don't know if they fixed that on the later face lift models. I haven't yet found a solution, because the problem is designed into their body panel shape. I did try one thing which was to apply a thin bead of black silicone (I could easily remove) around the top, side and bottom gaps of a trunk lamp. After water testing I found water running over the lamps ran into the gap between the two lamp units and still went into the reservoir, entering through their drain slot!

Solving the problem seems to be one of three actions. 1. Stop water getting in in the first place. 2. Find a way to make their side drain slot work whilst preventing it filling with water. 3. Reshape bodywork hidden below the lamp unit with filler to remove the channel. 4. See if a drain tube can be attached and run inside the trunk lid to take water away to the bottom edge. Attempting to seal the lamp unit gap without doing anything else is risky, because water still seems to run in from the black plastic housing exposed at the side. Options 3 & 4 are to consider on a sunny day when a lamp unit can be removed, but I'm not optimistic.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts