Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Eos is in excellent shape, and I have no plans to replace it. But I also recognize that all it will take is getting rear ended by an inattentive driver in an SUV, and the car will be totaled- esp. if the top was down at the time. A 2009 with 93K miles, it won‘t be economically worth repairing.

I do look around from time to time to see what’s out there. New convertibles are getting rarer, and it seems like every year another one is discontinued. So I’d be open to a used car too, one that was coming offf a low mileage-limit lease. My backup plan few years ago was that I’d look for a 2015 or 2016 Eos coming off a lease, but that ship has sailed now....

Seems like the practical choices are Audi’s, BMWs, Mercedes, Minis, and Mustangs. (Miatas are too small, and Camaros too ugly.)

What is your replacement plan?

·
Super Moderator
2,391 Posts
My partner will almost certainly be buried in her Eos.................................

My ideal convertible would be a restored 1966 Mustang manual retro-fitted with a 351 V8 instead of the original 302 engine - I drove a second-hand 1966 6 cylinder auto Mustang Hardtop coast-to-coast and border-to-border including the Trans-Canada Highway from Vancouver to Winnipeg in December 1974/January 1975 - 10.500 miles in 8 weeks and loved every minute.

Purchased the car in San Francisco for USD1100 and sold it to a dealer on our way to San Francisco Airport for USD500. I could have left the car in the airport carpark with the keys and papers inside and still would have been financially way in front of the cost of a rental car.

Reactions: eismeerblue

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
They haven't designed my replacement convertible yet which will hydrogen or electric and allowed into towns and cities where diesel and gas vehicles will be banned, or charged a high penalty. Most of the alternative fossil fueled convertibles like the Mercs could cost more to run if they go wrong. There's a Lexus 4 seat convertible tin top which seems to have a simpler roof system. The alternatives in 4/5 seat tin tops all cost a lot more money than the EOS and even with EOS issues, buying another more recent would probably still be the cheapest option, until that gets rear ended.

·
Life is good... so far
1,065 Posts
Probably none. The only hard tops still available new in the US are made by BMW and Mercedes both out of my price range. I live in a large city with higher vandalism rates so a soft top is not practical. Additionally soft tops are more prone to weathering if left out side. I don't think I want an older model. No easy way to know how they were treated and maintenance is not always available. The dealers don't track that info back very far.

·
Super Moderator
2,391 Posts
This was the last Convertible I cared for which unfortunately became a victim of my nasty divorce property settlement. :(.

It was the last UK model with no engine emission controls and was fitted with the UK high compression V8 engine - a very deceptive vehicle to drive, massive acceleration and a top speed of 130mph when tuned for performance. I was not the usual sedate RR driver being a "rev-head" from the time I learnt to drive to the present day.

For those who might be interested in the gloss finish, an American long-time family friend sent me a large container of Meguiars Yellow Wax polish which he used on his 1948 Lincoln Continental V12 Convertible.

Have found the email from my US mate referring to the auction sale of his 1948 Lincoln V12 Convertible which he restored from a "barn find" in Wisconsin; first sold to a collector Mario Sueiras in the Caribbean and recently resold at a Houston car auction by a later owner:

----- Forwarded Message -----

To: <Vendor>
Sent: Sunday, May 24, 2020, 08:16:14 PM EDT
Subject: 1948 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet

1948 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet | S63 | Houston 2019 | Mecum Auctions

this certainly is my old Lincoln Continental. One thing is the spotlight in the way I turned that handle up to open up the wing window.

Certainly looking at the engine I can see the changes that I made. I hope you got is 60,000 bucks. I did sell this thing for close to $50,000.

Take care for now
Steve

·
Registered
69 Posts
Of brands mentioned in the OP Audi and specifically an Audi A3 Cab would be closest to what you currently have. Like most other current alternates it is a soft top. I replaced my EOS with one and was happy with it. There are a lot of similarities except for the top. I bought the A3 preowned but same model year coming off a corporate lease with 2.5k miles at a price about equal to sticker on my EOS. Frankly at the time I was looking to replace the EOS, I only considered soft tops. While there are some hard top convertibles available preowned, for the most part the industry has abandoned them. I kept the A3 for 4 1/2 years and traded it in against an A5 Cab late last May. I do like the A5 better than the A3, but should based on the price difference.

With BMW and Mercedes if you drive throughout the year only considering one with all wheel drive would be appropriate. I would also rule out Mustang and Camaro because of rear wheel drive and light rear weight. Minis are at or near the bottom of the reliability list. There was Quattro on my A3 and A5. Both were and are good all weather cars. I owned two soft tops before the EOS and two after. I never had a problem with the soft tops during the winter or an issue with vandalism.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would agree with others here and I’d eye an Audi or a BMW. Shopping used has lots of possibilities provided you can find a good one. Shopping new leaves you with few options - about the only EOS sized option on current new market is a BMW 2 series. But to get it up to the same spec as our 2014 EOS Komfort, you’re talking a sticker of $45k ($9K more than our 2014 Komfort stickered for.) The way that convertibles are disappearing from order sheets, in a few years I suspect it’ll be an A5 or a BMW 4 series only and those are exponentially more expensive.

Practically speaking, if my EOS were to disappear today, I’d probably reach back to a classic like a TR6 or similar. It certainly won’t cost you as much as a new Bimmer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I plan on looking after my 07 VR6 Eos for as long as possible. There are no new (near new) convertibles that would be any better than my 07 Eos. Would cost a lot of money and add no extra value.

I typically buy near new cars and run them for 15 to 20 years - until the cars fail (have done that for two cars so far) but my EOS was already 12 years old when I bought it so I may only get about ten years out of it. I am currently buying a new Alfa Romeo to enjoy and care for in my retirement - am keeping the Eos as my daily driver (top down whenever possible) and hoping the new car will last me until the end of my days for family trips and touring the country.

Cheers - Catweazle NZ

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
As a used older car for regular all round driving and cheap used, the SAAB convertible. For a classic 'keep in the garage drive fine weather only' the Jag. E Type convertible (drool). But both would be enthusiast DIY maintainers. For something newer, dealer maintained and expensive cost of ownership the Mercs, BMWs or Audis. Most except the older Saab don't have the passenger space. My first decision would be a tin top or rag top? Tin top for secure regular use and lady drivers, rag top for fine weather use, safe parking and secure parking at home. Rag tops usually have the edge on power to weight with reduced roof complexity and more trunk/cabin space, but are noisier inside.

Many who ride in my EOS as passengers don't know they are in a convertible and even say the rear seat is comfortable, which surprises me?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Interesting scenario...

I bought the 2007 EOS to replace a 2000 Fiat Spider.....Yes, a woman and her daughter in a Cadillac Escalade almost rear-ended and would have driven over the top of the Fiat....I was turning into my driveway with flashers on well in advance and could see in rear view that they were chatting, so I gunned it and drove onto the next lawn to avoid rear-end.

But, I feel high enough and comfortable in our EOS so will NOT be trading for another convertible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i can not find any other convertible with hard top and sunroof out there
so ill keep mine as long as i can and then get the same one again 😅

for this value is totally worth to buy a second hand and spend some dollars to maker it perfect

value for money is still there for me

1 - 14 of 14 Posts