Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

What Octane Fuel For 2.0 T

10K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  adab 
#1 ·
dealer told me to always use super unleaded 98 octane!
is this correct or will standard 95 do?
what are the pitfalls and benefits and what do YOU use?

#2 ·
Well I am currently in a new Golf Gti which I believe has the same engine and I have always used V-Power or super unleaded (97/98 RON). It actually states this on the petrol cap. No idea IF there is an actual benefit, but I've always been in the belief that my lovely GTi deserves the best... and I'll carry on using the same with my V6 Eos when I get that on 18th May :)

Karen

#9 ·
:cool:

Likewise - I've put BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power in my Audi 2.0TFSI and I notice the difference when I put 'normal' 95 Oct in - crisper response and more mpg. Plus, as Karen says, I believe 'Audrey' should have the best! My Eos comes tomorrow morning [sleepless night ahead! Note change of weather after 2 months of blue skies!!!!] and I will continue to feed her a drop of the good stuff!

Paul:cool:

#7 ·
Yes, there is another thread that talks about the different fuels and octane ratings between countries. Here in Canada, on my EOS, the sticker on the fuel door states that 91 octane is the minimum required.

#5 ·
I asked the dealer about this as the fuel cap just said 95 and was told 95 was OK. I then read in the manual that 98 was preferred, so I rang VW UK. They said 98 WAS preferred and that the 95 on the fuel cap was a minimum, but that it would run on 95 at reduced power (not sure how much and haven't tried it).

Over the last 1000 miles I have tried v-power (99 RON) and supermarket super unleaded (97 RON). I can't tell the difference, but my pocket can. I didn't even try BP Ultimate because of the cost over v-power, given that v-power exceeds everyone's recommendations.

#10 ·
I asked the dealer about this as the fuel cap just said 95 and was told 95 was OK. I then read in the manual that 98 was preferred, so I rang VW UK. They said 98 WAS preferred and that the 95 on the fuel cap was a minimum, but that it would run on 95 at reduced power (not sure how much and haven't tried it).

Over the last 1000 miles I have tried v-power (99 RON) and supermarket super unleaded (97 RON). I can't tell the difference, but my pocket can. I didn't even try BP Ultimate because of the cost over v-power, given that v-power exceeds everyone's recommendations.

We use BP ultimate diesel in ours and we get far better miles to the gallon. I don't think anyone deserves an eos if they put supermarket fuel in. We ruined 2 cars by using their fuel. It is cheap for a reason!!!

#6 ·
I used to use the basic unleaded all the time but after reading the threads here started recently to use Shell v-power. I can say that you do seem to get a slightly better mpg from it. As far as performance is concerned I have not noticed any real difference.

#8 ·
When I bought my Eos, I was told to always use premium (91 octane in Colorado). I just called my dealer to set up my 5000 mile checkup and oil change and asked them to check to be sure that the engine was running right. The service advisor asked my what octane I was using and when I said 91, he said that at our altitude (3600 ft) we should use 85 and that the engine would run much better. I filled with 85 octane this last fill up and it does seem to have eliminated the turbo lag. Don't know about MPG yet.

Steve

#11 ·
I think we would have real problems if we used diesel in the 2.0T. However, thanks for the info for other diesel drivers.

#13 ·
You are right - supermarket fuel is cheap for a reason - they are supermarkets and their buying power is vast. Its the same with electrical goods or even tins of beans. You can pay more for the same product if you want, but that doesn't make it a better product. MANY proiducts are sold on the snobbery of their name without deserving their higher price.

Make no mistake, if v-power proved better, its what I would use. As I said, I haven't tried BP Ultimate because of the higher price charged over and above v-power. And I've seen nothing to suggest BP Ultimate is better than v-power. If you have, I'd be grateful if you'd point me in the right direction.

If cheap was all that mattered, I would fill up with standard unleaded and not pay the premium for super unleaded. And the engine so far has no complaints. If I put my foot down, this baby moves!! And I'm getting an all-round MPG (mixed driving) of pretty much 30.

I've run many, many cars on fuel from all different suppliers and have never suffered any engine damage from any of them. What damage did you suffer ? I'd seen the recent news where a distributer sent out contaminated fuel to their clients, but not heard of any other instances. As it happened, I don't use the supermarkets affected anyway.

What mileage are you getting with BP Ultimate ? The additional cost is around 8% more, so if I can get another 2-1/2 MPG out of it over 97 RON, it will balance out.

#14 ·
Well, I've covered 400 miles since I got the car on Tuesday - it has only had V-Power in so far, mixed driving comprising 60% A and B roads [we live in a rural environment] and 40% motorways [M3/25/23]. Averaging 32.7MPG so far. Not a very scientific test to me - but 30mpg looks on the low side to me - I just stepped out of my Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro after 2 years and 70k miles - same mixed driving, probably 70% A/B roads and 30% M roads - averaged 32.3mpg in that time. Only used V-Pwer or Ultimate in that time [unless forced to put a tankful of other stuff in].

Really, we can talk until we're blue in the face but we haven't got any like for like solid scientific evidence one way or the other, just subjectivity and opinion. I say, everyone should do what they think best - whatever the consequences turn out to be, at least they own them!!

Good EDA's!!

Paul:cool:

#15 ·
Paul,

Interesting. Sounds like it is worth giving v-power another try for around the next 3 fillups as v-power is around 4% extra and the numbers suggest it could provide in excess of 4% extra MPG, making it the best value for money of the quality fuels.

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciated.

Andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.