Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed the glass inside the Eos is wet in the morning. This doesn't happen with my other car.

I'm not worried about it at the moment since the Eos is bone dry during the heaviest rain storms. However, I thought I should check if this could be the start of a problem or if this is just one of the quirks of owning a convertible.

·
Registered
595 Posts
To me this would suggest moisture in the air in the car, which could be normal depending on the climate where you are or it could be an indication that there is water getting in to the car somewhere. Have you checked your carpets?

Adam

·
Registered
528 Posts
if you have moisture on the 'inside' of the glass, unfortunately, you definately have water somewhere inside the car somewhere.......check the spare wheel well also..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you have moisture on the 'inside' of the glass, unfortunately, you definately have water somewhere inside the car somewhere.......check the spare wheel well also..
Ugh! Hopefully, that's not the case. I checked the carpet and spare wheel well. They're both dry. I'm hoping on the mornings I noticed the condensation that I did something stupid like leaving the sunroof in the tilted position over night. We'll see what happens after the next rain.

Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ugh! Hopefully, that's not the case. I checked the carpet and spare wheel well. They're both dry. I'm hoping on the mornings I noticed the condensation that I did something stupid like leaving the sunroof in the tilted position over night. We'll see what happens after the next rain.

Thanks for your help guys.
Push down hard on the carpet in the footwells. The carpet is quite thick, as is the underlay beneath it. Sometimes the surface doesn't seem wet as the water is all soaked up beneath the surface.

A firm prod should prove either way...

·
Super Moderator
2,361 Posts
It would help potential contributors if you identify your general location so climatic conditions can be taken into account when offering advice.

The causes of internal condensation can cover a wide range from humid air being trapped inside the car after the roof is closed through retained air conditioner condensate to water leaks.

In your case, was condensation evident both inside and on the outside body work of the car? If so, this would support your assessment that it was probably caused by leaving the sunroof open.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would help potential contributors if you identify your general location so climatic conditions can be taken into account when offering advice.
I'm in Washington, DC. It can get very humid here but I have another car and the interior glass is never foggy/moist.

In your case, was condensation evident both inside and on the outside body work of the car? If so, this would support your assessment that it was probably caused by leaving the sunroof open.
The first time I noticed it was on a morning when it was pretty misty. So yes, there was condensation on the outside of the car as well. The other occasion was when I left the Eos at home and came back in the afternoon and noticed my rear window was foggy. I found that strange primarily because it was the middle of the day and the air was fairly dry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had condensation problems with my Mk 2 EOS since delivery. Can't really run the car without aircon with more than 2 people in the car. If VW can explain why, when the look at my list of other gripes, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've had condensation problems with my Mk 2 EOS since delivery. Can't really run the car without aircon with more than 2 people in the car. If VW can explain why, when the look at my list of other gripes, I'll let you know.
I've had my 2010 Eos for about a month now and I've noticed the same thing.

·
33 Posts
My two cents worth.... I've noticed it since new as well.. The cabin/cockpit is smaller than most vehicles, there is also a great deal of glass including the sunroof... I leave my 20c home into my 4c car I am big & warm (& humid) and in the smaller cooler glassier space.. there's more condensation. I will also say the heater & seat heaters are the most effective of any vehicle I've owned. To that point the heater can be almost too hot.. again a fact I contribute to the smaller innerspace. I have not checked out the stats regarding internal area vs other cars... but I suspect it's on the small side.. with glass closer to the occupant (s)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had quite a lot of condensation on the windscreen and rear window yesterday and from past experience (most of my cars seem to have leaked!!) this suggests that I am getting water in, but I'm just not sure where from.

The carpets all seem dry, and I have pressed down on them hard to see if there is any dampness. The boot seems dry...so where should I look?

Any suggestions appreciated!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think its worth keeping the aircon on permanently at a comfortable setting just to get rid of as much humidity as possible especially on the shorter journeys where the car maybe doesn't heat up fully. The effect on mpg is very small these days and worth paying for just to keep the car "nice". One more thing, try changing your pollen filter if it's more than 12 months old, they can harbour lots of unpleasantness which won't help your problem.
Regards,
John

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had quite a lot of condensation on the windscreen and rear window yesterday and from past experience (most of my cars seem to have leaked!!) this suggests that I am getting water in, but I'm just not sure where from.

The carpets all seem dry, and I have pressed down on them hard to see if there is any dampness. The boot seems dry...so where should I look?

Any suggestions appreciated!
I was on another forum where an owner found a location in the trunk that was collecting water. IIRC it was the area underneath the arms that raise the trunk lid when you're dropping the roof. I believe you will have to remove the trunk lining to see this area. Actually it held a fairly large volume of water. I would say it was enough to hear the water sloshing around if the car was moving.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was on another forum where an owner found a location in the trunk that was collecting water. IIRC it was the area underneath the arms that raise the trunk lid when you're dropping the roof. I believe you will have to remove the trunk lining to see this area. Actually it held a fairly large volume of water. I would say it was enough to hear the water sloshing around if the car was moving.
It has been discussed here too and is ongoing see thread http://www.vweosclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4588

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My Eos is kept in a locked dry garage each night and I've notice condensation in the mornings as winter sets in.
Hmmm, this may be proof that it's not water collecting in the car but simply the moisture in the air that's trapped in the car.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My Eos doesn't leak, but certainly gets more condensation on the inside of the front screen than my '08 Polo TDI, but it's comparable with my '00 Polo 1.4 16V. Since the interior is dry, I've just put it down to a quirk of the car. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too have a mk II eos and have become concerned about the condensation inside car. It was very bad yesterday morning after a drop in temperature (live in SW UK) so much so that I fear that when the icy weather starts I shall be having to scrape ice of the inside of the car!! Spoke with VW who suggested they have the car for a couple of days to check it out, so will let you know what they say.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had a couple of problems with my Eos (see my previous posts). I purchased a cheap humidity detector (the 2 prong type used for measuring damp in walls) and check mine regularly now by pushing it well into the carpets. It cost me about £10 on ebay and well worth it. Depending on the weather it reads from zero to about 7 per cent by the door sills if it has been very wet. It may save a lot of time identifying the cause as the carpets are not the easiest to get up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts