Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have had a couple of problems with my Eos (see my previous posts). I purchased a cheap humidity detector (the 2 prong type used for measuring damp in walls) and check mine regularly now by pushing it well into the carpets. It cost me about £10 on ebay and well worth it. Depending on the weather it reads from zero to about 7 per cent by the door sills if it has been very wet. It may save a lot of time identifying the cause as the carpets are not the easiest to get up.
Thanks for the advice...I've just got hold of a moisture meter from Ebay and I get very different results from you:(.

I seem to get a consistent reading of around 15%. I guess that different meters will have different sensitivities, but what is a reasonable moisture content given that its currently damp and cold in the UK?

If I try the carpet in the office where I work it shows 0% to 1% so there is definitely moisture in the car, I just don't know if it is to be expected.

·
Growing old disgracefully
239 Posts
How about putting the heating on the floor and opening the sun roof to tilt (weather permitting) that usually deals with any damp that I/we carry into the car

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I noticed one early morning that condensation was starting to form at the bottom portion of my rear window. I'm guessing that there are air gaps at the bottom of the rear window. The gaps are probably situated in a way that water isn't seeping into the car. I think the condensation is being formed by the cold night air mixing with the warmer air trapped inside the car.

For instance, this morning was wet (plenty of dew drops on the exterior of the car) but it was also unusually warm. Guess what? My windows were perfectly clear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, don't know what to expect from moisture meter reading but 15% does seem rather high. Have you another car that you could try it on to compare results? Is the reading consistent even on the vertical section of carpet leading up to the rear seats or is there a particularly bad area. Another check which is very reliable if you have a high moisture content is by putting your hand between the floor mats and carpet. Mine felt moist when I had my leaks because the backing from the carpet prevents the damp from escaping. It is possible to unclip the plastic sills by gently easing them up out of their clips and then pushing your fingers between the car frame and carpet to feel the underfelt to check if this feels wet.
I am away for a few weeks and when I return I will check the moisture levels in my car and let you know the readings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can anybody help??? We bought a 2013 Eos last December from local VW dealership, car was inside not on the forecourt... after a week we found the roof had a leak so it went back to VW and they replaced the seals so they told us. Car is always outside at the kerb and over the last 2 months we have noticed condensation on the windows... the car is only used about once a month as we have another car. But I thought I would buy a condensation trap and but in the car and went out today to put it in and found MOULD on the seats and seat let's and on the dash in places... and the water/condensation is so bad that when I opened the door it ran down the window....
We are so upset as we paid nearly £9,000 for the car nearly 11 months ago and now the inside is ruined and I can't see where all the water is coming from.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
All my research, thinking and time spent with mods is here in my links and attachments if you are willing to get your hands dirty and go about things in a careful methodical way. Do not expect a simple quick fix, because condensations (caused by water leaks you may not see or find) seems to be largely designed into the EOS, unless it is always garaged. The inside of the rear screen glass is the tell tale point to watch. Consistent condensation build up will eventually corrode the defogger wires on the glass. I replaced my rear heated screen because I got fed up looking at strips of obscurity in the rear view, then did all the mods I posted and now only get occasional light fogging caused by getting in and out the car in wet weather. MY07 EOS sits outside in my driveway 24/7.

My cabin and trunk RH readings are now never above 75% whereas before they could be as high as 95% with the trunk area always the highest. The trunk is a 'dead spot' and you can read how I dealt with that. Realtive Humidity (moisture in air) is either measured mechanically with a whirling hygrometer or electronically. Moist saturated air VERY WET will be 100% and dry desert air up to 10%. 50% is considered a pleasant living moisture level. Sustained high levels of moisture inside will encourage mold growth on leather and there are always bugs in human breath to start it off. Forget the joys of a V.W pollen filter for asthmatics (I trashed mine away years ago) because there will be more bugs breeding inside from dampness once mold takes a hold.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts