Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, sorry to bother you, i was googling the fault and i found about this topic/forum so i joined.
After buying the car last night i found out the sunroof is not working, when i press on the button i hear gear friction, it seems the white plastic gear is kaput.
also the boot wont open, what found out is that if i force the right side up then the left it will open, kinda forced open.

main question is, when i press the roof button to open, it says on the dash board the( Close luggage cpmpartment cover!) while the boot itself is closed...

please from what to start .... im pulling my hair..! 🙆‍♂️🙏🙏🙏🙏

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
You shouldn't 'force' anything, otherwise your problems will get more difficult, expensive and worse. If you are doing anything DIY you will need a workshop manual to help you and a diagnostics tool. You can search here and there is plenty to find out. But no quick fixes for you I'm afraid without you learning more from what many here have already posted.

You should have an EOS driver manual in the tray at the top of your glovebox. The display warnings don't always mean what they say but it's most likely the hinged cover in the trunk could be in the up position? Read about the car you bought in the drivers manual.

It seems you could have two serious problems:

1. The trunk lid won't open
2. The sunroof is faulty and the main roof will not open (or may open and cause more damage) unless that fault is investigated.

Read about the emergency trunk release pull. If you pull it and the trunk lid pops open but doesn't on the fob, you have an easier trunk lock problem to solve. If you pull the release and can't lift the lid, your roof locks holding the roof parts together may be open because your roof operation started to work then stopped and never finished finished with the roof (and sunroof) fully open or roof fully closed. This will happen once the sunroof faults midway through a roof operation.

If you bought from a dealer - Try and take the car back quickly within 14 days and get your money back, or get them to repair your car. EOS sunroof repairs can be very expensive. Your problems are not just the car but the decision you made to buy it when it probably already had faults? There is plenty to read here about the sunroof, electric windows and ANY unusual noises from them. When you looked at the car it should have been a walk away moment. If you had operated the roof open and close several times before buying, it sounds like this roof would have failed and you would have left it with an open roof for the seller to pull their hair out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply Vox,

yes you are right my bad, i will put more effort, im doing more research about this new toy, its true, i got it at a bargain price and knew the roof wasnt working.
the C clamps are engaged you are coorect thats why not opening hense forced oppen.

the boot opens with remote, inside button and the release flap, lifts couple mili then the C clamp wont let it go up.

would you suggest to start fixing the sunroof gear cogs before proceeding? im just afraid as i read about reset after dismantling the motor, i need to know how.
i found some 3D printed made in italy i could order.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Now I can open the boot like everyone else.
Now it's telling me close the sunroof.
Next is the sunroof Gearing to be replaced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update. After receiving the new sunroof plastic gear, I dismentled the motor and found out everything is OK, I installed the new gear into the motor and back everything together, when I press on the button the gear jump teeths again, same as manual turning. Seems the sunroof has a resistance of some sort, please what's next to loosen up the stiffness? I tried to push the roof open from. Underneath(inside) but won't budge also

The twisted string seems OK.

Métal gear seems ok

Attachments

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
You should read through this thread to understand how the sunroof works. You show a photo of the metal gear and 4 coils of the cable at the point where you took it out, but it doesn't prove it will mesh with the Octopus cable along its full length or there is no damage or wear somewhere or excessive friction in the sliders. You will have to dig deeper, otherwise the new aftermarket gear you bought may fail because the original problem is still there. Spring and Summer are around the corner in U.K., although only essential journeys are allowed in Covid Tier four at the mo.!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts