Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As part of a weekly routine I checked the oil on my wife 2.o tfsi 2007 EOS this weekend (UK)

To my horror as i pulled the dipstick out, I noticed that part of plastic just under the handle had come off. (I hope you can make it out in the attached photo) .

Looked around and could not find the missing part anywhere. Used my bora scope to check the dipstick tube / engine bay and couldn't find the part that had come off.

After 10 mins and a lot of shouting and some very rude words I called my brother in law who has worked as a mechanic for many years. In summary from his experience, his advice was that 9 times out of ten the part will drop off outside of the tube as there is an extra plastic ball about 2/3 the way down the dipstick which might have pulled the broken plastic part up and out of the tube , could of happened weeks ago and not noticed. The only way the be completely sure would be to change the oil and remove the sump and check the oil pick up. However given its plastic and brittle and if it did fall in the tube, it would have more than likely broken up anyway. An oil and filter change should be ok .

Changed the oil and filter, checked the sump with the borescope (didn't see anything) and purchased a new dipstick (p/n 06f115611f £10.48 from TPS). The oil had a couple of very small plastic parts in it (approx. <1mm across) but the filter was clear.

Anyway , save yourself a load of time , effort and money and change your Dipstick if our car is getting on in years .... I hope this doesn't cause any more problems but will let you know ...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
I wouldn't lose sleep over it, any plastic in the sump will either get stuck in a corner or get minced up. It's metal particles and ball bearings you only need to worry about. :eek:

I have a hatred for dipsticks: When I ran gasoline cars and the oil stayed not so black I could make out oil levels on the stick. Now with diesels I can't see the levels so well. I paint the bottom of the dipstick with white paint and don't worry if a bit of paint flakes off. I've read too many horror stories of electronic oil level warning systems not operating and a dipstick is still the only certain method. Maybe I'll find some white silicone sleeve the right size and slip that over the end.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine did same thing ordered a new one from local vw stealer they seemed to have changed the material as it feels softer a bit rubber like and yellow in colour luckily the chunk that came of and landed on the belly pan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts