Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This time of year I often, when dry (yeah right!), have the roof down, windows up, wind deflector in place and heater on but find the windows tend to rattle a bit. I recall reading somewhere that the windows can be adjusted to stop this. Is this true? What is involved? Is it easy? Does the door inner trim have to be removed? Would my local VW dealer have a clue what to do if I asked them to carry out this task?:eek:

Many thanks.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
First I'd check the regulator frame hasn't got any loose bolts. The glass is held by the glass wire clamp sliders and does have some in-out movement but this is least when the wire is good and tight. If your window drop is around 12 mm and you can't move the glass with the palm of your hand, you have good tight regulator wires. If the drop is much less say 5mm and you can move the glass, the wire is wearing/stretching/ breaking up and there's too much slack.

If the wire is tight you can reduce the rattle but the V.W shop probably won't know much about it. The glasses are curved and the trick is to maintain some pressure on the glass from the outside wiper seal whilst making sure this isn't excessive when the glass is at the top or 'normal' bottom, NOT the service position. In fact, you can see what difference to rattling a little pressure on the wiper seal makes by dropping the glass down to the service position where there is no seal contact and move the top glass edge in and out with your fingers - it will be floating about! The V.W solution will probably be to replace the outer glass wiper seal with integral chrome trim, because yours have probably hardened and lost their spring pressure along the edge? This will work for several months but the rattle might come back. There's no in-out adjustment for the regulator frame but I was able to fit some spacer washers being careful not to increase friction on the glass and motor load.

Also The front edge of the glass runs in a long 'U' channel soft felt seal from the top of the mirror mount and down inside the door. After a DIY regulator repair, it's very easy to get this seal twisted and incorrectly seated in its metal channel.

With the door card removed it should be easy to see where in-out metal to metal contact can occur which I suspect will be the glass lifters which usually have plenty of grease on them and their tracks? I've used quite a lot of self adhesive rubber sound deadening sheet recently and would stick some of this between between two parts that could come into contact and rattle.

·
Super Moderator
2,288 Posts
I have always treated the window wiper seals with Krytox at the same time as all other elastomer seals - after 12 years, they are still soft,supple and do not smear the window glass simply by the expedient of using a "smidgeon" of GPL105 on my fingertip and massaging it into the seal from both sides.

Works a treat.............................

1 - 4 of 4 Posts