Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have an '09 EOS and both front windows started to spazz in the afternoons on hot days (specifically) when I start the car. The windows shift up and down half inch (as if it's preparing for the door to open) over and over again and simultaneously a ticking noise persists. During one of these fits, I rolled the window down and I could not bring it back up until the "spazzing" stopped (2-3 mins) with any of the switches (master, drivers, passenger switches were attempted). I also noticed that the dash light was slightly dimming as this was going on.

Things I've tried: I've reset the windows manually ( key in the doors ) and checked the interior fuses - from visual inspection none were blown. I checked the battery and it's running at 14V or higher (loaded).

The issue is very inconsistent and only becomes a problem when it's hot out and the car was in the sun for hours so I am reluctant to bring it into the shop since I will not be able to demonstrate the problem easily.

I have a vague understanding of what's behind the hood that controls both of the front windows that could cause this problem so any help is appreciated. I am thinking the problem is with window controllers or motors, is this something that can be picked up by a diagnostic tool such as OBD2?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
You won't be able to pick anything up (more than the most basic engine-related fault codes) using generic OBD2 diagnostics - you'll need something VW specific that can talk to the individual control modules, such as VCDS or, if you have an Android phone, an OBDeleven dongle. Those will not only pick up the faults on the module and tell you what the faults mean, but also show you their configuration and live measurements.

·
Registered
707 Posts
At your ignition key switch there is an microswitch which commands the windows to go down (if it thinks you are turning your engine off - to prepare for you to get out of the car) and up (if it thinks you are starting your engine). That microswitch can fail, giving the effects you describe. You need to replace it.
I don’t think that anything is logged for this, so you will not find anything with diagnostics like vcds or odbeleven.
I am pretty sure it has been described on the forum before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts