Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Loving It
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how to get the top and bottom of the folding mirror apart? Both mine have been hit but the outsides are fine and not damaged. The gears inside I think are stripped.I can only think that metal part in the middle needs to be taken out but I am not sure if that's how to seperate them. I bought a second hand pair sight unseen and they are pretty ordinary and the door triangle part has a crack in it. I'm hoping to keep my original in place and replace the guts of this one. Anyone had a shot at this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Just replied to your other thread on this. You'd need a tool with two prongs that can unscrew the metal part in the middle, as there's no other way I can see to get into the mechanism.

·
Loving It
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just replied to your other thread on this. You'd need a tool with two prongs that can unscrew the metal part in the middle, as there's no other way I can see to get into the mechanism.
That is what I am hoping I have tried with long nose pliers but not enough traction. Looks like its get to the lathe and make something? Thanks for your reply. I posted some pics on another thread of where the mirrors move to.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I know you want to swap parts over, but when I've met this before I try to see what parts V.W list as spares. If no internal parts are listed, I assume they are factory assembled and have to break into them. But there has to be a way in, even if covers use nasty one way push on fastener clips - Because as the saying goes: 'There are no user serviceable parts inside' (and we like things going to landfill and polluting the planet!)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
That is what I am hoping I have tried with long nose pliers but not enough traction. Looks like its get to the lathe and make something? Thanks for your reply. I posted some pics on another thread of where the mirrors move to.
I guess you've already tried liberal application of penetrating oil to loosen things up? You'll likely have some corroded aluminium in there that will need unsticking. Even then, if the long nose pliers are a good fit for the holes you'd probably need to grip them with a pair of locking pliers, spanner or similar, to get the rotational force on them. And you'd be best not wasting a good pair of pliers trying that, as there's a fair chance they may give in before the mirror does!

The tool that came with my angle grinder for tightening the nut looks like the sort of thing you'd need - a length of strong metal with a couple of lugs screwed into it should do the trick. If I had to make something like that I'd get an thick metal bar and a couple of screws with matching nuts, drill holes at the right distance for the screws to go through and see if that would get it to shift.

·
Loving It
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess you've already tried liberal application of penetrating oil to loosen things up? You'll likely have some corroded aluminium in there that will need unsticking. Even then, if the long nose pliers are a good fit for the holes you'd probably need to grip them with a pair of locking pliers, spanner or similar, to get the rotational force on them. And you'd be best not wasting a good pair of pliers trying that, as there's a fair chance they may give in before the mirror does!

The tool that came with my angle grinder for tightening the nut looks like the sort of thing you'd need - a length of strong metal with a couple of lugs screwed into it should do the trick. If I had to make something like that I'd get an thick metal bar and a couple of screws with matching nuts, drill holes at the right distance for the screws to go through and see if that would get it to shift.
I will give it a go this week and see if I can move it at all . Thanks for your help

·
Loving It
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know you want to swap parts over, but when I've met this before I try to see what parts V.W list as spares. If no internal parts are listed, I assume they are factory assembled and have to break into them. But there has to be a way in, even if covers use nasty one way push on fastener clips - Because as the saying goes: 'There are no user serviceable parts inside' (and we like things going to landfill and polluting the planet!)
Hi Voxmagna, I have got some second hand ones that are in fact pretty ordinary and I am looking to pull one apart to see. It has to come apart to enable the trims to fit over the frame.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I kept my ordinary mirrors complete in case I need to go back to them. If yours are sacrificial, you can discover a lot with an angle grinder cutting disc! I've done some partial dismantling to replace the led turn signals, but not had to venture further inside, although aku has had to free up a seized pivot. Just getting the covers off without breaking the little clips is a challenge first time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anybody know how to get the top and bottom of the folding mirror apart? Both mine have been hit but the outsides are fine and not damaged. The gears inside I think are stripped.I can only think that metal part in the middle needs to be taken out but I am not sure if that's how to seperate them. I bought a second hand pair sight unseen and they are pretty ordinary and the door triangle part has a crack in it. I'm hoping to keep my original in place and replace the guts of this one. Anyone had a shot at this?
Some lowlife wrecked my left passenger mirror. It now won't "click" into place and seems to find it new position of facing forward, so I am interested in knowing a bit about the mirrors - good to see the photo of the inside, but realistically for me, it will be a workshop job to fix when due for its next service.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if the mirror mechanism was deliberately designed to be sacrificial and self destruct on impact? If the gear isn't destroyed they will have used a 'shear pin' on the shaft which might explain why the mirror is now offset? A V.W stealer will just replace the mirror. You are lucky the painted covers are o.k.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Voxmagna.

Not sure what a V.W stealer is (the VW repairer - or an actual thief?) Happy to be lucky that the red mirrors just got an additional white stripe which will in all likelihood buff off (...My car-loving handyman - he's a Lincoln man - is brilliant at getting rid of the swipes people take at my stationary (and innocent) car. )

Luckily I've had no depth gouges so far (fingers crossed) so he buffs them out for me...so lucky to have him! He looked at this one, but it was above his pay grade to fix, so off to the VW shop when the service is due in about 2k km. I will live with it until then. Just looks odd and means a bit more turning of the head. I'll cope. Just don't like seeing her damaged.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
If they are powerfolds you may be able to force it back for driving and pull a fuse because the internal damage is probably done now? If they are manual fold, you could try the same thing and temporarily wrap some duck tape over to hold its position?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think they are manual. I can electronically move the mirror from inside, but I don't think I can do the folding electronically. My handyman actually suggested temporary duct tape! I thought it might look ugly, but it might at least be useful in position versus totally useless as wonky as it is now. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
OK standard manual not powerfold. They are cheaper to replace and there are plenty about (handed!) used on auction sites. As I said the, biggest problem is the painted cover but yours escaped and can be swapped over. I had to do a temporary fix on some bodywork recently that had been ripped open leaving a big hole. I found some plastic sheet of a similar color and stuck that on with clear sellotape. It was on four weeks and the owner just got used to it! If your car is silver, you will get used to cooking foil! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts