Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both wing mirrors on my 56 plate Eos were replaced under warranty after corroding. (Within first 3years) Both are corroded again. Should i try to get them replaced again under anti- corrosion 10yr warranty?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Are they fit for purpose, I think not. they need to be told that. Go for the placements under warranty

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi there

My passenger side mirror had gone the same way.

Trying to figure how to fix/cover it up.

·
Registered
436 Posts
You will have to take them off the car, get them sand blasted and then repainted. The alternative is to replace them which is EXTREMELY expensive.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Your mirror housings are at their worst if you are in a sea or salt air local and at their best in dry desert.

Although I had mine replaced under warranty a while ago, I didn't think the paint process looked any better on the replacements.

Those housings are fairly substantial aluminium castings and my impression was they had not used an etch primer base coat - just got a thin finish coat over bare metal. Although it might be some suspect innovative 'one coat does all' paint finish.

They are finished black and not color matched which is an easier plus for a paint shop. I would not pay for VW replacements and have the same thing happen again. You can get a better job done by a local paint shop. If the metal is properly cleaned and acid etched, I think powder coating would work too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have had one of mine powder coated in Wrinkle black and it looks a lot better than OEM flat satin black. 18 GBP by a local company.

I'll get the other side when it requires it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Easy fix - 2 hours, wire brush and putty knife to remove corrosion and loose paint, sand paper, paint thinner, primer, rattle can hi-temp grill flat black paint. Both sides turned out awesome!

It is alot of work to replace mirror, I did it when I replaced the door earlier from a deer wreck.

;-))

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Let us know what the mirror is like after a few thousand miles.

Whilst the rattle can finish may look o.k, it is not a chemical acid etch primer for aluminium. Unless you strip off everything back to the base metal and pickle it, the white ali oxide will come back underneath your paint.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Let us know what the mirror is like after a few thousand miles.

Whilst the rattle can finish may look o.k, it is not a chemical acid etch primer for aluminium. Unless you strip off everything back to the base metal and pickle it, the white ali oxide will come back underneath your paint.
3M acid etch primer
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/111848O/chemical-process-performance-comparson-of-transbond-plus-sep.pdf

Secret to adhering paint is flex additive, a cheap paint won't expand or contract with the parent material and can separate. The high temp grill paint flexes good with expansion/contraction. I expect it to peel again in 5 years, I'll just paint it again.
Jeff

·
Registered
130 Posts
I live just 500 yards from the sea wall. Although I havn't had the car long enough for the door mirrors to corrode, I keep the bit that seems to attract corrosion well polished, sort of once every 2 to 3 months. I use Armorall shield which does not go white when it dries, it just keeps that part of the mirror looking sharp and hopefully corrosion free. :):):)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts