Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are times when you might need to get wires between the engine bay and the cabin. I needed to do this today. For my current project I needed to get wires from the engine bay into the ash try compartment next to the switch panel. Some have wanted to use the empty switch locations so I will explain what I did:

For a right hand drive EOS, battery on the left, start by removing the long rubber seal that holds the plenum cover to the vertical front of the plenum chamber. The entry point for mod. wiring is on the left just behind the rear corner of the battery where 2 large looms surrounded by foam pass into the plenum chamber. You can lift the plenum ABS top cover panel away from the screen without removing the wiper at the opposite end.

When you lift the corner of the cover and look inside, there is a large rubber blanking grommet just opposite the loom entry points (Thank you V.W!). Feel inside and remove the grommet with a flat bladed chubby driver. I punched a 6mm hole in the center of my grommet and tapped it back with a box spanner.

I then removed my glove box. It comes out complete with hinged front. Unlike some cars I've worked on, the front cannot be removed on its own. To remove the glove box, use plastic wedge pry tools. Remove the end cover trim from the fascia housing together with 2 trims at the bottom of the 'A' pillar. To remove the lower trim you have to lift up the cill capping trim.

Torx screws holding the glove box are at the bottom and top of the assembly. BUT there is 1 screw covered over by the side trim cover over the central console. Lift up the gearshift leather cover and trim plate to reveal 2 Torx screws fixing the ashtray and switch module, remove those screws together with the trim cover hiding the screw holding the glove box. With all the glove box screws removed, lift it forwards a little and start disconnecting the wiring connectors. Be careful, V.W don't give you much wire length. If you have air con into the glove box, push off the pipe at the back.

With the glove box removed you will see an electronic module in the center. Remove the 2 plastic nuts at the top and tie it down out of the way. Your mod. wires are going to come through behind that module.

Back to the engine bay: Using a length of welding wire, tape your mod wires to the end and push it inside the plenum and through the grommet, picking up the end at the top behind the controller you dropped down. With the end through, use the same welding wire to take the other end of your mod wire through the foam surrounding the left large loom bundle.

I like using the black V.W type cloth tape so I usually wrap this around then pull it through from one end. It's probably a good idea to get tape on wires passing through the plenum chamber.

Now you have your mod wires between the engine bay and center console, you can tie wrap them neatly to their loom wiring and put it all back together. Do not be tempted to drill/punch holes through the bulkhead. Follow V.W wiring practice and preserve the integrity of the firewall. If you want a fused power source look at the large fuse box inside the engine bay. There are fuses fed from the ignition and permanent 12V on. I used a piggy back fuse holder in an existing fuse location, but if you want to do the best job and have the V.W repair wires, there are usually empty slots in there.

I looked at wiring access through the opposite end of the plenum, but there is so much clutter both sides I think that would be a much harder job.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks for this excellent write-up Vox, nicely done, it will guide me with things I wish to do.
Cheers, Tony.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts