Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No doubts about the great look of the EOS .
I love the panorama roof and the car aesthetics.
But ....

I have read a lot of complains about the roof , water leaks and roof defects in open close operations.
It is likely since rigid cabrio roofs are a design challenge , also the peugeot 307 cc has some but the cost of repair is astronamical since as far as I undertand you have to go to a VW garage for it.

Second problem is the 1.4 TSI , with 122 and 160 HP, the second, in theory has amazing performances compared to the fuel consumption but again:
  • timing chain tensioner that need to be change frequently
  • a too much lean injection map to stay in Euro 5 limits result in pistons failure the more power the engine has.

So...
Eos may be not :)

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
If you've done your research, the negatives for you may be more than the positives? Buying older, cheap and without warranty could give you the problems and negatives. You mention amazing performance for a 1.4TSI, but have you spent much time driving one compared to the 2 liter? Small highly turbo'd engines can deliver horsepower and economy in an engine test lab when new. The EOS is a heavy car and driving long distances with a smaller used engine IMHO can be harder on the ears and performance when you need extra for safe overtaking. Try it with 4 people and luggage in the car on a long overtake of 5 cars or semis, spread out and all doing 60+ mph, but pootling around town for shopping you will be fine. If you are concerned about Euro emissions limits now, you should be looking at spending a lot more for an EV or Hybrids. But Tesla has a long waiting list at the mo. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About car real consumption my Bible is Spritmonitor.de
Here is a 1.4 160 Hp year 2010

I drive about 13.000 Km per year on the same road @ 100 km/h so overtakings are rare :)
No problems with emissions , my other car is a 3.2 V6 Frontera, Euro 3.

Finally I think I will postpone the Eos purchase by 5 years when the Eos V6 will become here a "historic car" and will not pay anymore the yearly tax fee of 583 Euro.
A V6 motor is a mule and no more overtaking worries :)

·
Life is good... so far
1,090 Posts
The chart is just numbers. Doesn't say anything about How or where the car was driven or maintained. I don't see where there is any real gain to wait 5 years just so yo can get a 'V6'. The roof will be older and subject to additional wear and tear. You already mentioned how worried you are about the roof. Buying a car with 5 more years on the roof just to get a 'V6' and cheaper licensing seems counter productive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The V6 and generally cars with a lot of power is own by people with money here in Europe because they cost much more to keep. Insurance and yearly tax as well as fuel consumption.
Usually these happy few do a good care of their vehicle and since the V6 is the top of the range it has stock a lot of optionals.
Why waiting 5 years ?
Just make some maths.
583 Euro x 5 = 2915 Euro , a nice budget to completely renew the roof stuff :)

I forgot to mention that where I live after 20 years cars do not pay anymore yearly tax and insurance is as low as 170 Euro per year.

·
Life is good... so far
1,090 Posts
Good luck with your renewal concept. Parts for the roof are expensive and not easy to come by. Should you need a whole roof, price is now $15,000 USD.(this time last year was $8,000USD). Your 2915 Euros may not go as far as you Hope Buying individual bits and pieces. And don't forget about the electrical and mechanical parts in the trunk that move the roof. The roof is very complicated and you will need the best documentation you can get you hands on. And when you finally buy that EOS, thoroughly test the roof before you pay for the car.

Reactions: lucamax

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
I forgot to mention that where I live after 20 years cars do not pay anymore yearly tax and insurance is as low as 170 Euro per year.
Paying less tax and some saving on fuel is insignificant if you factor in roof repairs and maintenance costs. If you like figures you should be looking at 'real cost of ownership' not one or 2 favourable bits of data. In 5 years time many cities will not allow you to drive a diesel or gas car inside zones, unless you pay a huge access charge.

If you buy an electric scooter, it's cheap, you pay no tax, get lots of free miles per charge, eco friendly, no parking charges, take it on the train and have the same experience as a top down EOS. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After continuing to read about the disasters on both the Eos engines and the roof, I decide to leave this incredible piece of German tech failure to those happy few who deserve it.
I do not :)
I will extinguish my desire for a convertible with a modest Peugeot 308 CC, at least it doesn't rain in .

Goodbye and good luck EOS owners :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
No doubts about the great look of the EOS .
I love the panorama roof and the car aesthetics.
But ....

I have read a lot of complains about the roof , water leaks and roof defects in open close operations.
It is likely since rigid cabrio roofs are a design challenge , also the peugeot 307 cc has some but the cost of repair is astronamical since as far as I undertand you have to go to a VW garage for it.

Second problem is the 1.4 TSI , with 122 and 160 HP, the second, in theory has amazing performances compared to the fuel consumption but again:
  • timing chain tensioner that need to be change frequently
  • a too much lean injection map to stay in Euro 5 limits result in pistons failure the more power the engine has.

So...
Eos may be not :)
The 1.4 engine is a grenade waiting to explode, so many cases of piston failure in Australia (in MK6 Golfs rather than Eos), VW were assisting with either full or partial warranty but have ceased to do so due to age of the vehicles. In short, there are two types of 1.4TSI engine, those that have had piston failure and been repaired and those that are going to fail. The 2.0TFSI and 2.0TSI engines are much better although early 2.0TSIs had the well documented timing chain tensioner problem.

As far as the roof is concerned, it is a complex mechanism and any complex mechanism is prone to failure, in my experience if you can find a well serviced and well looked after vehicle and a service tech well versed in the operation of these roofs ongoing maintenance should be reasonable but one must accept the potential for some significant repair bills. The facelift models had improved seals so are a better choice in my opinion but the most important aspect of roof seals is regular lubrication without which, leaks are a certainty.

Reactions: lucamax
1 - 9 of 9 Posts